on 15 October 2017
Best router I've ever had in the top-end home / small office range. It's built to run OpenWRT, which I am (LEDE). Have had this for a couple of months now, and couldn't be happier. Very powerful CPU as well, which is unusual for home routers but very useful if you use encrypted traffic a lot (OpenVPN, IPsec).
I'm running two independent wireless networks, and two different broadband uplinks through this device, and due to the kind of work I do for a living, have been pushing the boundaries of many routers. This one, on the other hand, gracefully handles anything I throw at it without breaking any sweat.

However, I would strongly recommend not to buy this if you don't intend to run OpenWRT on it. The original Linksys firmwares are terrible and have been under a lot of criticism for their lack of security. This definitely is a "built your own" kind of router, not a plug-and-play device.
11 people found this helpful
on 17 January 2017
Superb product works really well. My initial reason for buying this is to replace the terrible superhub v2 that virgin media provided me. I could barely get wifi in more than 50% of my house. Since installing this I am getting 90% coverage and much faster speeds.
My brother bought the R7000 and replaced his Superhub v3, again his coverage improved a lot over the virgin media hub.
We both have different type of houses so can't really compare the linksys vs his router. Regardless both are great routers.

I spent a long time researching which AC1900 router to buy as initially I was tore between what I believe are the three leaders (Linksys WRT1900ACS, Asus RT-AC68U and the Netgear Nighthawk R7000).

The Netgear R7000 was a little more expensive and came out comparable to the Linksys in the reviews i read. I got the Linksys for £15 cheaper and the ACS is the latest revision with better hardware in terms of memory/cpu than either the Asus or Netgear's. I was also put off with a lot of issues with the R7000 namely the Arlo compatibility that the developers since dropped.

The Asus RT-AC68U is a great router but unfortuantely there are many different hardware revisions of this model with the first having terrible USB3 connectivity. I believe the revision B resolved this issue by the introduction of shielding around the port. I couldn't be sure what amazon would send me and so went for the Linksys.

Very happy and the interface is very simple to setup and use.
4 people found this helpful
on 29 August 2017
Used to replace BT business hub 3. We have fttp so it's just an Ethernet cable straight from the modem to this router. Took about 5 mins to set up, was fairly straightforward. Being used in a large 3 story farmhouse with thick stone walls and placed in the attic. What a difference this has made the the usability of the broadband in the house - signal's good in every room, and connection is very stable. 2.4ghz works better for us as there's very little interference. Around 6-7 devices connecting at any given point and manages traffic without a blip - the BT hub was very poor in this respect. Worth every penny, we can now use our fttp properly!
2 people found this helpful
on 15 June 2018
Buyer beware: expensive item that does the opposite of what is promised! Stock FW halved my broadband speed even over LAN. WLAN was considerably weaker than promised, weaker than an old Fritz!Box 3390. Speed with Fritz!Box 3390 was 220MBsec, with LinkSys it was 95MBsec. See the photos attached.
If one is looking forward to Open Source FW - you can forget it! There is no such thing for a newer HW, which has a different flash to V. 1. And yet, you do not see V. 2 anywhere. Much like 1900AC model, which also did not have proper support for V. 2. Consistent, then...
Seriously, if one wants to encrypt one's entire traffic via OpenVPN, well then it seems the only other solution that works with stock FW is Asus.
I ordered that one now, having returned this model. Let's see what happens with that firm's product...
Linksys - a really poor show! Lots of money for a serious break of faith!
review imagereview imagereview image
on 17 April 2016
What a great router!
I use this on BT fibre and connection is made to this router via a BT Openreach Modem which feeds into the cable port via Ethernet
To start with I love the colour scheme of blue and black, the activity lights (can turn off if required) the smart connect interface, the apps (block the bad I use on level 1 should help keep the network safe) and the smart phone controls all so simplistic.
Initially I had problems with the 2.4ghz frequency which was incredibly slow and pulled the 5ghz users down to almost a halt.
Channel change didn't help so I changed the network mode on 2.4ghz to 11/b/g/n rather than mixed and that resolved it
I have an assortment of devices connected wirelessly on both channels including 2x Chrome audio, 2 laptops, 3 smart phones, printer, PC, Xbox, droid box, Sky TV, 2 ipads and everything is faultless (Xbox and PC via powerline connection)
Even when the 5GHZ connection starts to fade to 1 or 2 bar because of distance the throughput on speed remains at maximum

For families with children you can block Internet access to certain devices at certain times and also apply parental controls to specific devices rather than blanket all devices

Would be interested to try in a bridge mode with another one of the same, but don't think I could justify the cost!
on 21 January 2017
This thing is a beast!
Nearly ended up returning this to Amazon because I could not get the 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi signal to work, as I was unplugging the USB3.0 portable hard drive connected with a Y cable from the unit I noticed life. Yes, the Y cable was causing the problem all along after a day of trying solve the issue. After I swapped out the Y cable for the original cable that came with the WD My Passport 1TB drive all was well, I hope this may help someone else to avoid the frustration I went through.
The unit itself is a great looking product, beefy and angled with a striking blue - like something out of a Sci-Fi movie, the front display light are also very cool and modern looking.
Performance wise it is a massive upgrade to the TP-Link N900 I was using previously, speeds are noticeably faster on LAN and 2.4/5Ghz wireless. Another observation is the useability and substantial increase in range for the 5Ghz channel which I am now using on most of my devices.
So far, so good after a near brush with disappointment due to external factors - Long may it give me such good service.
on 17 January 2018
I bought this because we have 3 permanent devices in our home. One of which couldnt receive a signal from the internet providers modem/router. We relied on a wifi extender to reach it. The signal was choppy on that machine and kept dropping and having to reconnect. We also found ounce one tv or device was streaming or downloading the network went to hell and worse during peak bandwidth times.

First off if you are looking to get a better range this machine wont do it. Infact it seems our internet providers router had slight better range. I was almost ready to return. Until I remembered that reviews stated this machine was built to handle a heavy load (as well as having a great range apparently). So I rerouted everything (extender included) through the 1900acs. I streamed 3 movies (one in 4k) and started a DL on a game. No buffering and only the PC connected to the extender (also the one which was streaming and DLing) experienced a reduction in quality. No buffering and all videos started up very quickly.

So so far I am very impressed with the load performance. I cannot comment on if it improved the connection dropping from the extender as of yet.

Bottom line in you have multiple devices in your home or office this beast can handle it. If you need more range pay for a far superior router or just get a range extender.
on 12 October 2016
This review applies only to the WRT1900ACS router using OpenWRT firmware, rather than the default Linksys firmware. Your mileage may vary.

Unfortunately for a router advertising itself as "developed for use with OpenWRT" the actual performance of the device with OpenWRT installed is abysmal. Latency when the wireless is even under modest loads absolutely skyrockets, typically by over 100ms. The range of the WiFi is also appalling, generally only being able to saturate my modest ~50Mbps internet connection only when the client is in the same room as the router. Through a wall, the effective bandwidth can drop as low as 5Mbps.The 5Ghz radio also suffers from random connection dropouts.

As a wired firewall/router, which is what I'm presently using it for, it performs fine. I currently have a separate WIFI access point plugged in to it, which isn't ideal but at least works.

I have old Linksys WRT54GS access points that have run DD-WRT for years with absolutely no problems, so I was very disappointed in the quality of this box. For the price and the way it's advertised, I'd expect OpenWRT to work correctly out of the box.
3 people found this helpful
on 3 March 2018
I bought and subsequently returned this router because it failed to deliver a reliable connection. I tried various configurations with my virgin router including modem only mode as well as cascading router, but the WRT1900ACS would reboot within 24h and fail to provide connectivity.

I tried reflashing the latest firmware but this did not make any difference. I found numerous people on the Linksys forums who had similar problems, mostly with v1 of the product. One suggested solution is to flash an open source firmware but I don't want to spend more time going down that route.

Very disappointed after reading so many good reviews online.
on 29 October 2015
Review of the Linksys SE4008 WRT Family 8 Port Gigabit Switch

I was running out of Ethernet ports. Had used an old ADSL router in WAN mode to give 3 ports out in a daisy chain from my Linksys WRT150n. It worked but put what was connected off the home network into it's own but didn't really matter since what was connected only needed broadband not access back to other IP addreses e.g. Youtube box, Bluray, Android TV.

Virgin upgrade my cable broadband as part of the TIVO combined VIVO offer of up to 200 mbps. I never liked the Virgin SuperHub2 as a WiFi router due to poor signal strength and loosing the network. Put it in cable modem mode and continued to use my WRT150n which was reliable. Come VIVO upgrade to get 200mbps over Ethernet you need a gigabyte network else your equipment switches sticks to 100Base and gives you about 65 Mbs on a speedest, so ordered the Linksys WRT1900ACS and then subsequently the Linksys SE4008 WRT Family 8 Port Gigabit Switch. Waiting for the former to be released, the switch itself works very well. The router provides the intelligence in DHCP and passes that down the line to the switch. If you have hardware that you have attached a port to the MAC address via DHCP reserve, this works fine. Thus everything plugged in is on the network and can be managed DHCP wise from the one and only router.

Because the switch is designed size wise for the Linksys WRT1900AC or Linksys WRT1900ACS to sit on top it provides a suitable design solution if you have the spare cash. You can daisy chain these switches so if you are planning to move and have a partner with a plethora of equipment you can cable between rooms and put an additional switch wherever. On Ethernet cabling for 1 giga Ethernet you only need cat 5e cable and most cat 5 cable is now cat 5e. You don't need cat 6 - just check wiki. That is for the next standard, 10 giga Ethernet. A number of youtube videos where people brag about their cat 6 cables going to their terminal points etc with cables no longer available etc etc etc, you don't need cat 6 in the home environment yet. Clearly if you were cabling up a household and wanted it to be future proof you could think about using cat 6. I wouldn't bother with powerline adaptors they don't handle 1 Giga ethernet too well leading to 100Base rather than 1000Base. May be useful for wifi which doesn't need the speeds.

Yes, so impressed with the Linksys SE4008 WRT Family 8 Port Gigabit switch nothing untoward yet.