Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
|Print List Price:||£35.49|
Save £5.49 (15%)
A Linguistic History of Arabic Kindle Edition
|Length: 330 pages|
Top Customer Reviews
I doubt he has had the bravery to debate his thesis on in front of real scholars of the Quran in Middle East etc.
For example, he made a basic mistake in referencing a reading to the correct source, showing me that he hasn't been formally educated in this field and is just from the 'casual reader' type.
I can see, however, how beginner/fresher Arabists etc. will see this as a revolutionary perspective! Oh well....
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Owens uses the similarities in widely dispersed contemporary Arabic dialects to hypothesize the nature of the mother language from which the daughter dialects have descended, then it further tests the hypothesis by looking at the early grammatical treatises and the various reading tradition of the Qur'an.
While one cannot adequately prove what the Arabic language was like at the time of Muhammad or during the Arab conquests, Owens makes an importance contribution to the discussion that advances our knowledge.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > History > Countries & Regions > Asia > Middle East
- Books > History > Religious History > Islam
- Books > Languages > By Language > Arabic
- Books > Reference > Language
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Islam
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Anthropology
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Linguistics > Historical & Comparative Linguistics
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Linguistics > Reference
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Education & Reference > Foreign Languages
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Education & Reference > Words & Language > Linguistics
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > History > Middle East