Linear and Nonlinear Waves (Pure and Applied Mathematics: A Wiley Series of Texts, Monographs and Tracts) Paperback – 15 Jul 1999
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
The re–issue of this excellent book on linear and nonlinear waves in paperback form is to be welcomed. (Zentralblatt Math, Volume 940, No 15, 2000)
From the Back Cover
INTRODUCTORY APPLICATIONS OF PARTIAL DIFFERENTIAL EQUATIONS With Emphasis on Wave Propagation and Diffusion G. L. Lamb Jr. Geared to scientists and engineers seeking to hone their mathematical skills, this book draws on such phenomena as heat conduction and wave motion to show how partial differential equations are used to obtain specific information about the phy-sical world. Topics include one-dimensional problems, Laplace Transform method, Green's functions, spherical geometry, and first order equations. 1995 (0-471-31123-5) 496 pp. APPLIED MATHEMATICS Second Edition J. David Logan. This highly acclaimed book provides readers from diverse scientific and engineering fields with an easily accessible, up-to-date treatment of mathematical methods. Coverage ranges from such standard topics as fluid mechanics and calculus of variations to modern methods--dimensional analysis and scaling, nonlinear wave propagation, bifurcation, and singular perturbation. 1996 (0-471-16513-1) 496 pp. Also in this series...ORTHOGONAL SETS AND POLAR METHODS IN LINEAR ALGEBRA. Applications to Matrix Calculations, Systems of Equations, Inequalities, and Linear Programming Enrique Castillo, Angel Cobo, Francisco Jubete, and Rosa Eva Pruneda 1999 (0-471-32889-8) 440 pp. ALGEBRA Pierre Grillet 1999 (0-471-25243-3) 694 pp. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
In many mathematically driven books, the math overwhelms the physical connection to reality leaving the reader to wonder if all they can accomplish with the book is symbol gymnastics. Whitham's book avoids this issue by using detailed figures and discussions, for instance, to explain why (in physical terms) one might convert a cosine into a complex exponential.
If you are a researcher in any field that involves wave-like phenomena, I strongly recommend this book.
It is sparse, incisive, thoughtful, elegant, and expert. Its organization is modern, meaningful, commodious and avoidant of redundancy---in striking contrast to pretentious inessential pseudo-scholarship flooding the literature under the guise of some spurious sense of "completeness", more often than not.
My personal, fortuitous, falling in love with it is still fresh in my memory after decades: I was looking for the "straight dope" on the Kelvin wave pattern in boat wakes, without fanciful Airy functions and mumbo-jumbo fugues in hapless mathematese. I hit upon its pp 409-410 concise and tasteful "behold!" demonstration, ending with the inimitable "...all swimming objects have effective Mach number 3." I was hooked. I heard the music, and it was Mozart's Haffner serenade...
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Civil Engineering > Mechanics
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Electronics & Communications Engineering
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Engineering Physics
- Books > Science & Nature > Mathematics > Applied Mathematics > Mathematics for Scientists & Engineers
- Books > Science & Nature > Mathematics > Calculus & Mathematical Analysis
- Books > Science & Nature > Mathematics > Optimisation > Linear Programming
- Books > Science & Nature > Physics > Applied Physics
- Books > Science & Nature > Popular Science > Maths
- Books > Science & Nature > Popular Science > Physics
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Engineering > Electronics & Telecommunications Engineering
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Mathematics > Applied Mathematics > Scientific & Engineering Mathematics
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Physics