Learn more Download now Shop now Pre-order now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more

Customer reviews

Limits of Power: Paladin's Legacy: Book Four
Format: Paperback|Change

on 24 May 2017
very good condition
on 13 July 2013
Mrs Moon continues her story of Kieri and chums. It's another length of the same story, neither better nor (thankfully) worse.

But ... the series is beginning to show signs of self-indulgence. This takes the form of messing with key world concepts. It is a key world concept, in this series, that magic is highly suspect. Moon has begun to start a process to make magic normal, and we get the usual, very very tired "only bigots can be against magic" trope, borrowed from this world, where bigots use intimidation to force political correctness on the rest of us. I don't enjoy watching that in this world. I certainly don't want to read a fantasy version of the same crap. And it breaks the world's rules to do so. Moon can't change that concept, and still retain credibility. It was possible to do so for the first character, Dorrin, as an exception. But not generally.
on 2 September 2013
Picked up Limits of Power to read on the plane when going on holiday, and it was a very enjoyable read. The only downside being impatience on my part and wanting the book to be longer!

When I say "slow story progress" in the title, in no way do I mean to imply that nothing happens in the book - it keeps a good pace throughout. However, afterwards, you are left with the feeling that the overall story did not progress much.

Would I recommend the book? Definitely! Will I buy the next book as soon as it's available? Yes! Would I like the book to be 3 times as big? Yes (but not at the cost of waiting 3 times as long for the book to be written).
on 30 June 2013
I enjoy Elizabeth Moon's books. They're always well plotted and engaging, with a style of writing that draws one in. This latest installment of the 'Paladin's Legacy' series is no exception and I would commend it to anyone. The main characters from earlier books - Dorrin, Arcolin, and Kieri - are all involved in exciting and sometimes unexpected developments, while the wily Arvid is taken way out of his comfort zone and seems to be heading for a major change of life. Definitely one to keep and re-read.
on 23 July 2013
Seemed to take a long time to get nowhere. I normally love Elizabeth Moon and am a big fan of the Paladin series but there was very little action in 490 pages. It only seemed to set the scenes for the next book and didn't seem to have the excitement of the other books. It jumped from person to person and place to place for no reason. It could have been covered in half the pages and then got onto the battles and challenges that are hinted at in the next book. I now need to wait for the next book for some excitement. The heroic death of a faithful soldier didn't seem to have the impact as in other books. Even the appearance of Dragon was tame compared to the last book.

It was a "nice" book but took me 2 weeks to read - normally would take 2 days - but at least I was socialble for those 2 weeks rather than being in a different world and my family got meals cooked - lucky family !
on 28 October 2013
This review applies to the Audiobook version. The content and pace of the story are, as usual, up to Elizabeth's great standard. Why oh why to the publishers insist on changing the narrator of a book on the 4th book of a series. This narrator does a good job of telling the story BUT she has not listened to any of the previous audiobooks to ensure common words are pronounced the same. It's a jarring change that takes several hours to try and ignore and for me really spoiled the book for me.
on 2 August 2013
You can see the overall shape of the series taking form more and more clearly. The characters are realised in believable ways that fit existing construction, the writing is beautiful, and we see more and more into the world of Paksenarrion. Unsurprisingly, we learn more about Camwyn, the ancient hero-saint, what Alured is up to. Plus some very interesting developments around the elves of Lyonya!

Can't recommend it enough to anyone who likes fantasy.
on 20 August 2013
Looking forward to the next book in the series, the story has many threads and can be a bit confusing at times, but the actual story is a good one. With The Lady of the Elves dead the power now goes into her grandson's hands, best on many sides he must get the Elves and people to work together to battle a coming menace and magery is coming back into the world much to some people's dislike
on 18 January 2014
Admittedly I have followed the Author for many years and will continue to do so. The quality and richness of both storyline and writing is consistent throughout her range of novels but I have to say Really SHINES through on the Paksennarion and Paladins Legacy series. My compliments on a great range of characters and superb story content long may they continue.
on 30 June 2013
Fits well into the series and picks up immediately from where book 3 finishes. The characters continue to be well written with depth and the story unfolds at pace. There are new levels being included into the story as it unfolds without becoming so complex that you 'lose the plot'. I'm hoping the next in the series continues at this level.