on 28 October 2013
A friend brought me along to the launch of 'Dream Deli' in a fab Georgian house on Henrietta St, Dublin. hadn't heard of Lilly's cooking before that - and was v.impressed. Bought the book on the night and have cooked 3 dishes from it - all from the brunch section. Fantastic results - the fruit tabbouleh wouldn't be out of place in an Ottolenghi spread, and the peanut butter granola was a smash with my older girl. The food is imaginative (chocolate soup! mini-meatloaves!) but so far, simple to create and definitely has the 'wow' factor.
Delighted with my purchase and found Lilly to be a charming and funny host the night of the launch too!
on 28 October 2013
I got this book for my birthday last week, I haven't got Lilly Higgins' other book but after reading Dream Deli, Make, Bake, Love is definitely on my Christmas List! This book is gorgeous to look at and the recipes are so yummy! I've made lots of them already, my favourites are definitely the bircher muesli, the welsh rarebit (totally new to me, a delicious revelation!!) and the chocolate soup.
The photography and styling is so pretty, the writing isn't one bit intimidating and I really feel I could cook anything in this book and it would be a hit with friends and family. I hope Lilly opens her Dream Deli near me soon!! (Wicklow, hint hint!!)
on 2 November 2013
After getting Lilly's first book I couldn't wait for the second and it certainly did not disappoint, wide range of easy to follow recipes. The kibbeh proved a great hit in my household, keep the books coming Lilly
on 11 January 2014
Dream Deli is the second book by Cork food writer Lilly Higgins. I loved her first book Make, Bake, Love which was a huge bestseller (her peanut butter cookies are phenomenal) and Dream Deli is a worthy rival. Lilly is a great natural writer and her recipes are always a treat to recreate at home.
on 26 October 2013
I bought Lilly's first book and absolutely loved it! On the strength of that book I pre-ordered this one from Amazon as soon as I became aware of it being available. And how I wish I hadn't! The recipes are basic to the point of being insulting with the odd novelty recipe like "vegan chocolate mousse" being thrown in for good measure alongside "recipes" for cheese on toast and a fresh fruit platter. For a basic cookery book there are far, far better options out there. If this was meant to inspire me to want to eat at Lilly's "Dream Deli" or even make some of the recipes from the book, this effort was, in my opinion an epic fail. If, however it raises a few pennies for the charity shop it's going to, then all is not completely lost.
on 4 January 2014
Too many suggestions of the same type of food.
Doesn't really provide cooking instructions.
eg. For Porridge with honey and nuts - make porridge, pour on honey, sprinkle with nuts.
I know that one is a no brained, but the rest of the book is similarly unhelpful.