Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 April 2014
I got this as a present for my brother who has just started a new business, he hasn't put the book down he is engrossed and he doesn't normally read books, he said this has really helped him he's still reading it but after hearing him talk about it I might lend it from him to read it myself.
on 6 June 2017
Not as interesting as I had hoped.
on 9 October 2012
Sir Richard Branson, like a virgin but he's been touched more than a few times.

This book reads like one big add for the Virgin empire. If like me you have already picked up a copy of Branson's autobiography then you will find nothing new at all in his latest outing in the literary world. If this is the first time you are thinking of purchasing a Branson book then I would buy the man's biography instead ( all of the snippets in secrets are more or less taken from the bio). I can't really be positive about this one...........There's just nothing new?

Not the best business guide on the market.

Kind Regards

D.
on 15 November 2012
If you've been stuck in the dark ages or are the sort who thinks that customers are a pain in the backside and get in the way of your tea break, then read and learn! Government departments, transport unions, perhaps...?

If you've worked in a business that knows what customer service is, then most of what Branson has to say is not terribly enlightening and moderately self-aggrandising. I'll let him have the latter, as he is a brilliantly successful bloke, but I expected a bit more news and insight.
on 26 June 2012
This is the fourth book by Richard Branson that I have read. It is a worthy read and is filled with tips on how to run a better business.

Tips in this book include: Be innovative to differentiate yourself in the market; Offer superior customer service to stand out; Do not openly criticize others; Large corporations move slowly -- be nimble!; Perform stunts to gain free publicity instead of paying for ads; When placing ads, play off current events; By "shaking up" an industry your business can be successful; Look for gaps in the market; Watch for poorly-run businesses -- they are primed for replacement -- with your business!; Branson's driving force: Helping people have a good time; Second impressions are important; Numerous tips for managing, motivating and empowering employees; Be the disruptor, not the disrupted.

Some tips such as "be innovative" may seem obvious. But when I read Branson's stories and thought about what he wrote I gained insight on how the advice could be applied to my own business plans.

The writing style is informal, breezy and fairly easy to digest.

"Like A Virgin" has larger type and greater spacing between lines than my printed copies of "Screw It, Let's Do It" and "Losing My Virginity." Thus, the book can be read in less time than you would typically expect of a book as thick as "Like A Virgin" is.

There seems to be some British slang or phraseology in the book that struck this Yank as slightly confusing. I wonder if the U.S. version would be more Americanized? This is only a minor quibble.

Kerning on the chapter headings is uneven and appears to have been merely applied automatically. Manually kerning would look better here.

The quality of the paper is excellent. The binding is solid.

I recommend "Like a Virgin."

Here's how I would summarize the Branson books I've read:

* Losing My Virginity: This is the first book I read. It's business-focused and heavily autobiographical.

* Screw It, Let's Do It: This book is similar to "Losing My Virginity" and covers much of the same ground. The difference is that "Screw It" contains the business stories and tips found in "Losing My Virginity" but less autobiographical material. This book is my favorite. If you are reading Branson's books because you're looking for business advice, and you only want to read one of his books, "Screw It" is the book to read.

* Screw Business As Usual: This is Branson's "green" book. He focuses on making the world a better place, reducing carbon in the atmosphere and other worthy, important endeavors. There's also a strong business theme. Branson believes there is money to be made in green technology and I agree.

* Like a Virgin: Sort of a "Screw It, Let's Do It Part Two."

I'd rank his books from most useful to least useful (from a purely business perspective) as: 1) Screw It, Let's Do It. 2) Like a Virgin 3) Screw Business as Usual 4) Losing My Virginity.

(I rank "Screw Business as Usual" higher than "Losing My Virginity" because "Screw Business as Usual" is more unique -- that is, "Losing My Virginity" is too similar to "Screw It, Let's Do It" and "Screw It" is more concise than "Losing My Virginity.")
on 26 June 2017
Very good book, simple and easy to read. Enjoyed reading the book
on 8 November 2012
This book could really have been boiled down to half-a-dozen pages; Mr Branson rambles on about much the same things in various different essays. The take-home message is 'look after your customers and do something a little bit different, and you'll make money'. The writing is also slightly irritating due to Branson's attachment to the David Brent school of humour. Still worth reading, but probably not worth the money.
VINE VOICEon 23 November 2015
Before you buy this, consider what you want from it. If you want celebrity puff, from a man who leaves behind him a string of broken promises, whose main focus is a vanity project, whose wealth can't be established, and who when the going got tough, committed multiple tax fraud, and is only where he is today because his mother owned her own her home which she mortgaged to pay a fine required to stop him going to prison - fine.

But for just about anything serious, the answer lies elsewhere. In any case, Branson has a unique business - he sells his name. That's not a feasible business model for anyone to copy.

I understand that many are obsessed with the man's ability to be such a self publicist, and that this is not a popular popular view, but there are over 1.9 million other books on business. Amen.
on 16 March 2015
This is a very disappointing book. Neither a biography or a business books, this is just a collection of thoughts, emails, articles written by Branson. There is no structure, no business insights, just cliches after cliches. I bought it in the airport thinking how bad can it be, but it is truly terrible. Lazy and badly written.
on 2 March 2014
I have operated my own online business for close to 12 months so always looking for helpful tips and advice. Who better than this man!
Easy to read as it's broken down into chapter of just a few pages, sort of like mini-stories.
Admittedly not everything is of benefit, but a lot of content is beneficial on both a business and personal level. A few suggestions I have now implemented into my business.

Well worth a read.