Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 2 March 2010
Like No Other Lover was a find for me and Julie Anne Long an author I'd never read before. It is part of a series but I read it as a stand alone and found it unputdownable.

Cynthia is a make-no-bones-about-it fortune hunter. Readers are aware that she has a mysterious past but are introduced to her in the prologue from Miles' perspective. At a society ball she dismisses him of out hand as a second son and therefore not worth her consideration. Miles, instantly attracted to the socialite who reminds him of a butterfly, is devastated at hearing her write him off and his attraction swiftly turns into hatred.

Years later, following a scandal, Cynthia retreats from London to the country and finds herself at a party held at Miles' home. This is her last chance to find a rich husband and Miles himself must marry for money as he needs funds to lead an exotic nature expedition. Fate has deemed it impossible for them to come together and they both begin to woo their prospective cash cows. As they charm others they battle together and Long's dialogue here is witty and honest.

I found Cynthia to be an admirable character. She is a strong, independent and determined woman oppressed by circumstance and the Regency Era. Her choices are limited and as she began to reveal more of her past and her desperation I found myself enthralled by her. She is both charming and fun. Miles is a naturalist, intelligent and honourable. He is usually a logical man but Cynthia inspires him to think in metaphors and similes and this irritates him no end. As a hero he was beyond excellent but this is Cynthia's novel and he just happens to be her perfect fit.

The novel began slowly for me but the catalyst came when Cynthia accused Miles of treating her destitution like a game. Her accusation and ensuing revelations were heartbreaking and brought tears to my eyes as I realised, along with Miles, the extent of her misery. When it becomes clear to her that they really can never be together the scene that follows is shattering in its tenderness - "It was gratitude and apology; it was acknowledgement of all there was between them that would never be spoken. It was reassurance and farewell."

Purely for containing some of the most loving scenes I've read in a Regency romance and for a heroine reminiscent of Breakfast at Tiffany's Holly Golightly, Like No Other Lover deserves no less than five stars.
on 25 December 2008
A hero and a heroine like I love them, strong and intelligent and willful. Wonderful interaction and dilemas, I spend my christmass with them and did not feel alone.

I likeed her second book but this one is a lot better and she does write also so well: just the right tension, romance between them. I really felt with him and with her too. It is not a hero I'll forget fast!

A good read and good romance.
on 18 June 2014
This book was the second in this series and it was an easy enjoyable read. Miles Redmond had been previously dismissed by Cynthia Brightley when she had been the belle of the ball. Now disgraced by a secret scandal she is invited to attend a two week house party at Redmond House in which time she needs to find a rich husband. Miles Redmond in the meantime is now heir to a fortune (due to his brothers disappearance) and wants a kind of revenge on Cynthia for dismissing him. Love however intervenes and this is the story of how the two of them come together and overcome all obstacles in their path. I really enjoyed this book and have now moved onto book 3 in the series.
on 2 January 2009
Cynthia Brightley is a fortune hunter. She has to be, as she's almost penniless and a broken engagement has left a whiff of scandal around her. She has a final opportunity to snare a fortune during a house party at the home of the Redmonds. Miles Redmond, the host and an explorer and naturalist is, of course, out of her league - but some of the other guests are possibilities...

Miles's life has been mapped out and he expects to propose marriage to Georgiana, a suitable girl, at the end of the house party. But Cynthia Brightley seems to hold some interest to him and as he helps her to find a suitable match at the gathering, he may get more than he bargained for.

Julie Anne Long is a very good writer with an excellent style, great description and a real focus on emotions. She is able to invest what is perhaps a fairly sparse plot with a great deal of interest and character. Unfortunately the writing occasionally slips into Americanisms but overall it was a good book with a few references to her previous novels and some possible characters for future stories.

Originally published for Curled Up With A Good Book © Helen Hancox 2008
on 9 December 2013
Loved the way that the characters were built & the way that they "stuck" so whilst you read the story you were right there felling the raw emotions- loved both the strengths of both hero & heroine - JAL - is a class author - fell into reading her novels by accident & after this have bought many more books & am not disappointed - will buy many more- don't be put off by pennyroyal & belief that you need to but all the books-each individual in their own right
on 4 April 2015
Not bad, but not as good as 'What I Did for a Duke', which is no doubt Ms Long's best work.

A few annoying Americanisms that detracted from the authenticity of the narrative ('anyhow'!!?! We say 'anyway' in England and we say Autumn, never, ever 'fall') grated after a while, but a few glaring editorial mistakes with missing words really annoyed me. This couldn't have been well proofread, which annoys me further as this is a novel by a well established author from a reputable publisher. I take it the decent proof reader was off the day this needed reading through. Hmm. A shame.

Ms Long has a good eye for descriptive language which I always admire in a writer and spends more of the novel absorbed in a metaphysical, Austinesque social observation than being real or gritty like Dickens or the Bronte's.

Still a jolly good romp and despite its alarming inconsistencies care of bad proof reading, I enjoyed it immensely.
VINE VOICEon 28 February 2012
I very much enjoyed this. I took it with me on a long trip for a weekend away with family, and found myself sneaking away to read a bit more, and was, I'm afraid, quite snarly with the stewardess who told me to turn my Kindle off as we descended to land.

I'm a speedy reader who normally devours books in a few hours, but I really, really found myself trying to go slowly with this, the better to enjoy the emotions, the internal thoughts of the main characters, and their sparky and sparkling exchanges.

This is book 2 of a series loosely based around a place, and 2 feuding families - the Everseas and the Redmonds. The books are each about someone from one of the families (book 1 an Eversea, book 2 a Redmond, book 3 an Eversea and so on), but their love interests are not from the "other" family as it were; the feud forms a background element that adds interest and depth.

This probably reads fine as a standalone, but you'll understand all manner of little asides and throwaway observations if you start with the first in the series, The Perils of Pleasure.
on 25 June 2013
I've enjoyed others in the series but this was the best heroine. I loved the fact that she was so unapologetically hunting a rich husband. So often the genre wants us to believe "nice" girls only want to marry for love and then just "happen " to fall for someone wealthy. It was poignant and made her more real to me. I'm English and the writer is American so inevitably there were some petty points that annoyed me but on the whole well written and I will definitely read more of her output.
on 15 May 2012
this my second book by ms long and all i have to say is thanks she writes in such an achingly romantic way i love it and cannot wait to buy all the rest of her books as always though there is always something i dont get in all books i read in this one its SPOILER the friendship with the sister was non existent and why did his dad disown him when he said he admired him?also whatever happened to the spider on the windowsill and did georgina marry as the gypsy said?lol
on 22 July 2014
Miles Redmond is the type of main character one doesn't often find in a Regency Romance. From a child, he has been interested in science and solving puzzles and problems. However, he is definitely not a sissy boy - quite the opposite. After seeing the lovely Cynthia Brightly at a ball in London, he has never been able to forget her - #1 because she was the most fascinating woman he had ever seen and #2 because of what he overhead her say to her friend regarding his unworthiness as a potential marriage partner because of his "second son" standing in the family. Cynthia is considered a diamond of the first water and the bloods are all falling at her feet.

A couple of years have passed, Miles has been traveling the world and is now becoming quite famous as an explorer, scientist and author. He is stunned and a little angry when he realizes his sister, Violet, has invited Cynthia to a house party at the Redmond home at which he will have to play host because his parents will not be in attendance. Cynthia has remained unmarried even though she had been engaged. The reason(s) she didn't get married are not fully known by Miles however there are rumors about a duel, etc. Whatever happened has affected Cynthia's reputation, she is now down on her luck, has only five pounds to her name, no family to speak of and this house party is her last chance to obtain a proposal of marriage before she literally finds herself on the street.

To add to the tension, Isaiah Redmond, Miles' father, has requested that Miles use the house party to pursue and become engaged to a most suitable young woman, Georgina. This matter is of great interest to Miles because Georgina's father will assist in supporting Miles in his further explorations.

Miles has entertained a grudge against Cynthia all this time even though thoughts of her loveliness plague him. There are some some very humorous and fascinating conversations which take place between Miles and Cynthia that kept me absolutely entranced. In addition, Miles loves his family, is very kind hearted and absolutely one of the most intelligent and intuitive Regency heroes you will come across.