- Also check our best rated Biography reviews
Like A Hole In The Head: Living With A Brain Tumour Paperback – 23 May 2005
Customers who bought this item also bought
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
About the Author
Ivan was born in Leeds in 1967 and spent his childhood in Luton and Leeds. He studied German at Aston University in Birmingham and lived and worked in what was then East Germany. After graduating, he joined BBC Monitoring as a sub-editor and went on to become an internet journalism trainer at the World Service. Ivan's last job was as a science and technology writer on the BBC News website. After been diagnosed with malignant brain tumour in 2002 he began to write a column on BBC online recording his treatment, feelings and life. He died in January 2005. He leaves behind a widow, and a young daughter and son.
Top customer reviews
There were high points and low points- times when it seemed he was going to beat it, and others when it became clear he wasn't; and I'll never forget the entry just after the birth of his son- but, though there was never even a hint of "look at me, I'm so brave," Ivan managed to keep his optimism going nearly all the time, and his sense of humour never deserted him.
It is precisely the openess and honesty with which he let us look in on his life that makes his story so compelling and so moving, and which made the news of his death so hard to take: even though I never met him, I felt I had lost a dear friend.
This book had me laughing, crying and made me come away from reading it feeling inspired. I picked it up and read it in two days. Definitely recommend.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biography > Social & Health Issues > Living with Cancer & Other Illnesses
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Health Issues > Illnesses & Conditions
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Medical & Healthcare Practitioners > Surgery
- Books > Science & Nature > Medicine > Diseases & Disorders
- Books > Science & Nature > Medicine > Medical Sciences A-Z > Surgery
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Medicine & Nursing > Medical Sciences A-Z > Surgery
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Social Issues > Social Welfare & Services