Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
|Print List Price:||£12.95|
Save £9.10 (70%)
A Life Worth Living: Michael Smurfit's Autobiography Kindle Edition
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Nevertheless this book will not stand side by side with his other achievements. Its poorly written in parts, almost like a kid had a hand in its drafting - its repetitive also using the same phrases and quotes throughout. It also includes anecdotes which seem to be dropped in at odd places to prove a point or a theme but actually add to its clunkyness.
Overall it could have achieved a lot more and has a feel of a rushed exercise. Disappointing as I expected it to be better.
They say the unexamined life is not worth living, but Michael Smurfit is not into self-examination. In his description of his own life, weaknesses (which we all have) and failures (which we all experience) put in no appearance. This guy presents himself as the born successful entrepreneur, one who, after a hesitant start, never ever got it wrong... Really? His self-hagiography is more than a little embarrassing. He tells us proudly of his enormous self-modesty, for instance, he is surely the greatest man in the world for modesty...
Obviously, a bit of humour and self-irony would have done the book good, would have made the figure of Smurfit come alive, rather than being just a figure cut out from Smurfit cardboard; but humour and irony are not Michael's fortes. It would also have been interesting to see where his enormous craving for recognition came from, surely a product of extreme insecurity? Was it the shadow of his father? Or the severe illness he suffered as a young man? Or his lack of educational finish? Or was there something else altogether, something he doesn't tell us about? I rather suspect it. And why does he tell us virtually nothing of his family life, apart from brief mentions of skiing trips and so on? His first marriage (and divorce) do get some space but not what he subsequently went through. Could it be that he didn't actually have much of a family life?
But the fact that this is not a great book doesn't detract from the great story he has to tell.Read more ›
I would advise every entrepreneur to read this highly engaging autobiography.
9th June 2014.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Having been lucky enough to visit the K Club in May,found it very interesting!!!!Published 12 months ago by Beryl Herring
Great Business Man. Treats his staff and customers with respect and professionalism and gets customer satisfaction and loyalty in return.Should be running the country.Published 18 months ago by Amazon Customer
A well written and very informative book
Very strong on the importance of company values and how to strike the right deal without compromising your values
INSPIRING STUFF. Amazing to hear how he built smurfit up from the ground up. Lots of insights throughout. Recommended reading for anybody starting a business.Published on 4 Jun. 2014 by Daniel Leahy
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biography > Social & Health Issues > Cultural History
- Books > Business, Finance & Law > Accounting > International
- Books > Business, Finance & Law > Biographies & Histories > Biographies & Memoirs
- Books > Business, Finance & Law > Biographies & Histories > Business & Economic History
- Books > Business, Finance & Law > Biographies & Histories > Company Histories
- Books > Business, Finance & Law > Careers > Entrepreneurship
- Books > Business, Finance & Law > Economics
- Books > Business, Finance & Law > Management
- Books > Business, Finance & Law > Professional Finance
- Books > Business, Finance & Law > Small Business & Entrepreneurship > Entrepreneurship
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biography & True Accounts > Memoirs
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biography & True Accounts > Professionals & Academics > Business
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Business & Finance > Biographies & Primers
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Business & Finance > Finance
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Business & Finance > International
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Business & Finance > Management & Leadership
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Business & Finance > Small Business & Entrepreneurship