Life and Times of Sidney and Beatrice Webb 1858-1905: The Formative Years Paperback – 30 Oct 2001
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
'his undoubted masterpiece...a remarkable feat of detailed research and objective judgement.' - The Times
'Harrison's writing is masterly, without being heavy, his comment is always profound and often very witty.' - The Spokesman
'A fine biography of two socialist stars and what passes for a history of socialism...it is worth every penny...his foray into biography is also a resounding success...' - Paul Foot, The Guardian online
'Harrison's The Life and Times is a fine book, a notable addition to the riches of our socialist library. Its powerful message shows how partners can act together and how, indeed, they will be needed to save our stricken world.' - New Statesman
'A terrific book...' - Professor Eric Hobsbawm
'It places in the shade all other scholarship on the Webbs...' - Richard A. Rempel, Russell: The Journal of Bertrand Russell Studies
About the Author
ROYDEN J. HARRISON is Emeritus Professor of Social History at the University of Warwick. He is among the leading scholars in labour history. His previous books include Before the Socialists, Studies in Labour and Politics, 1861-1881, Industrial Decline in Historical Perspective, The English Defence of the Commune and he is co-editor with J. Zeitlin of Divisions of Labour. He has been a regular contributor to The Political Quarterly, International Review of Social History and many other leading journals. He was previously senior lecturer at the University of Sheffield and has been Visiting Professor at University of Wisconsin, Madison, McMaster University, Ontario and Keio University, Tokyo.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biography > Historical > Britain > Military
- Books > Biography > Historical > Britain > Social & Urban History
- Books > Biography > Historical > Countries & Regions > Europe
- Books > Biography > Historical > Social & Urban History
- Books > Biography > Political > Britain
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Early Modern 1501-1700 (Tudors, Stuarts, Commonwealth, Restoration, Glorious Revolution)
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Ireland
- Books > History > Cultural History
- Books > History > Political History > Democracy
- Books > History > Political History > Marxism & Communism
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Government & Politics > Political Science & Ideology