Life in a Shell: A Physiologist's View of a Turtle Paperback – 5 Mar 2013
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
"Over 200 million years of existence, turtles have shared the planet with dinosaurs, witnessed the diversification of mammals and seen the spread of humans. Physiologist Donald Jackson conveys his love of the reptile in his book. He explains how its slow movements help it to survive winters under ice and describes how its shell functions as a home, armour and a buoyancy aid. By focusing on the physiology of this one familiar beast, he also reveals how scientific understanding evolves by building on the work of others." --Nature, 10th Feb 2011
" Ever wonder what it's like to be a turtle? No one has come closer to finding out than Donald C. Jackson in Life in a Shell: A Physiologist's View of a Turtle, as he delves into the biology and behavior that has allowed the turtle to survive on Earth essentially unchanged for the last 220 million years." -- Adam Kirsch, Barnes and Noble Review, 23rd Feb 2011
" Turtle physiologist Jackson has produced a fascinating, informative book on aspects of turtle structure, behavior, and physiology. Even readers with only a minor interest in turtles will find themselves engrossed and locked into the narrative...Most of the text is easy to read and highly entertaining. Anyone interested in turtles will find this a worthwhile addition to his/her reading list." --E. D. Keiser, Choice, 1st Aug 2011
About the Author
Donald C. Jackson is Professor Emeritus of Medical Science, Brown University.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Science & Nature > Biological Sciences > Animal Sciences > Habitats
- Books > Science & Nature > Biological Sciences > Animal Sciences > Physiology
- Books > Science & Nature > Biological Sciences > Animal Sciences > Vertebrates > Amphibians
- Books > Science & Nature > Biological Sciences > Animal Sciences > Vertebrates > Reptiles
- Books > Science & Nature > Biological Sciences > Hydrobiology
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Biology