Customer reviews

Format: Hardcover|Change

on 6 June 2017
I really struggled with this, it's a long wordy book that is basically about a river and nothing apart from the river. It's a very detailed account of said river and wasn't what I was expecting at all, it is however another classic off the list!
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 June 2017
Great story telling. One of those books that plants pictures in the mind of the reader.
on 24 July 2017
Great read if a bit long
on 19 July 2017
Plainly speaking, luv it ❤️
on 21 July 2017
What a lovely story arrived very quickly
on 23 August 2014
I was there - you can't say better of an author can you.
on 16 December 2011
The title of this book encouraged me to send for it although I didn't know whether it was going to be interesting for an elderly lady of nearly 86.
Although I have it on Kindle I also sent for the book as I wanted a written record.
I found it thoroughly interesting. Factual, and in some places really funny. The personal experiences related within the book take you back years and yet it is also full of geographical, historical and other data. The author's grasp of human nature was really good too. I could see the old steamboats in my minds eye -0 I wish I could now!! I was completely absorbed with it until I regretfully finished it!!
on 20 March 2013
Lawrence has over-used the philosopher's trick of stating a fact then contradicting it with another fact. Many times in 'Sons and Lovers' his hero believes he hates his mistress, and then describes how much he loves her! Nuff said.
22 Comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 August 2014
its ok
on 7 November 2014
nver read it cannot get into it