Customer reviews

Life is Meals: A Food Lover's Book of Days
Format: Hardcover|Change

on 16 January 2016
I bought this book on 1st Jan, looking forward to what I thought would be a diary of food...a day-by-day account of James and Kay Salter's meals and musings that would interest and inspire me during the whole year ahead. It is nothing of the sort. So far, 16 days in, I get the feeling that someone came up with the idea of the book (maybe their publisher) because the couple had kept a diary of food and were obviously keen cooks interested in the subject. It seems to me that most of the days are what I would call 'fillers' rather than personal accounts and experiences. Granted all the entries are related to food and eating, but they come over as being written specifically for this book rather than an actual authentic diary. A pity, as I am a big fan of James Salter and the book is obviously very well written.
on 8 July 2017
Has this author been to Great Britain? He says a typical English Breakfast has kippers, oatmeal, ham, eggs and toast. Oatmeal! Really? Was looking forwards to reading this after my wife but now it's obvious he's never had a Full English Breakfast, who knows what else has been made up.
on 13 October 2013
I came to this having read the greater part of James Salter's fiction and wondering what this might have to offer. It exceeded all my expectations.

The book in fact offers an entry for each day of the year about some aspect of food. Some entries are about kinds of food (pineapples, coffee, foie gras) or wine (famous vintages etc), some about food writers, some about restaurants, many about food experiences - it is clear that the Salters have given many excellent dinner parties, including to the occasional famous literary colleague (John Irving, Salman Rushdie). A lot of research would seem to have gone into this, though the Salters wear their learning lightly. How much I will remember I doubt, but perhaps the advice to put red wine in the fridge for 30 minutes before drinking and white wine in the fridge for an hour before drinking to maximise flavour.

The episodic style of the book seems made for Salter's writing style - although the work is clearly a joint product with his wife Kay and also clearly represents many happy decades of married life. In that sense the book tells you 'what happens next' at the end of Salter's autobiography Burning The Days.

All in all then, a very enjoyable reading experience which I would strongly recommend to others - but only, of course, to other who are interested in food and food writing.
on 16 March 2016
Liked it so much, I bought another one for a friend.
on 3 January 2016
Lovely book. Great gift idea for foodies.
on 12 December 2014