- Format: Kindle Edition
- File Size: 4435 KB
- Print Length: 258 pages
- Publisher: Pan (7 Mar. 2013)
- Sold by: Amazon Media EU S.à r.l.
- Language: English
- ASIN: B00BQF6RBO
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Enabled
- Average Customer Review: 72 customer reviews
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #56,988 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Life At The Limit: Triumph and Tragedy in Formula One Kindle Edition
|Length: 258 pages||Word Wise: Enabled||Enhanced Typesetting: Enabled|
|Page Flip: Enabled|
Kindle e-ReadersKindle Fire TabletsFire Phones
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
But, to put a serious angle on it, the early days, up to the mid-70s especially, were dangerous times for F1. Anyone whose seen the awful footage of Tom Pryce's death, or Roger Williamson's, won't need convincing of that. But F1 was un-regulated in terms of safety and anyone who spoke out or tried to change things (step forward again, Sir Jackie) was branded a coward by many other drivers, team owners and circuit managers (and the latter of course, would have to spend money to implement any safety changes).Read more ›
Sid Watkins was at the forefront of changing, not only the physical specifications, but also of the culture within F! as regards safety. This book looks at the safety of the sport before, and after he came to the sport at the behest of Bernie Ecclestone. As well as looking at the safety, the accidents, some fatal, some not, there's pen portraits of some of the big hitters during his time in the sport.
As well as the sporting side, there are several appendices showing the documentation required by the FIA to ensure that any circuit meets the requirements laid down under the safety regulations, along with a fairly exhaustive look at the research carried out on the stresses a race driver is under during a race.
This contains something for everyone, regardless if it is little vignettes like the medical car overtaking the cars during the first lap, to historical facts such as the infighting that went on to allow the medical car to follow the cars on the first lap. Regardless whether you are a long term fan, or a new fan, there's something in this book for you.
It was funny, sad & interesting as well as well written, it was an easy read, but it is roughly 20 years old now.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
If you're a fan of Formula One, especially F1 in the 1970s through 1990s, you really ought to read this.Published 2 months ago by Nickja
A great disappointment . The book is poorly written, and badly arranged, leaping from anecdotes about races, to a rather self important view of the writer as a political figure... Read morePublished 3 months ago by christopher storey
Sid Watkins should have stuck to what he knew. Writing he knew not. It feels like the only reason he wrote this book, was to prve to the world that he and Senna were as thick as... Read morePublished 7 months ago by Mark V
Arrived quickly,only downside is its a little scruffy looking - was going to give it to someone as a present but il keep it
Arrived quickly only downside is that its a... Read more
Good F1 read of other aspects in a Multi -Billion IndustryPublished 9 months ago by stephen bainbridge
The Prof changed it all and many many drivers in a lot of sports owe him their lives. If you like racing then just read it. simple as thatPublished 10 months ago by Chris
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biography > Historical > Britain
- Books > Biography > Sport > Formula One & Other Motor Racing
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Medical & Healthcare Practitioners > Other Branches of Medicine > Accident & Emergency Medicine
- Books > Humour > Sports
- Books > Science & Nature > Medicine > Medical Sciences A-Z > Accident & Emergency Medicine
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Medicine & Nursing > Medical Sciences A-Z
- Books > Sports, Hobbies & Games > Motor Sports > Formula One
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biography & True Accounts
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Professional & Technical > Medicine
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Self-Help & Counselling > Self-Help
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Sport > Motor Sports