Customer reviews

on 28 May 1998
Liberated Quiltmaking is like no other book I've ever seen! It is its very uniqueness that makes it so fascinating --and so simple. The basic concept is that to be truly creative, we need to stop following someone else's rules. This, in turn, frees up ("liberates") our creativity. The result is a folk-art kind of very personal, one-of-a-kind quilt. I'd been looking for a pattern for a rocket ship, and after just looking at the book's photos, I made my own, terrific-if-I-must-say-so-myself, rocket ship!
If you're open to creating a quilt that's not an exact copy of another one, this is the book you want!
on 24 February 2005
Joy and excitement is what I feel each time I begin a new project of liberated patchwork. It is a different approach to quilting. If you are the type of person that needs to enjoy the process more than to achieve spectacular results or copy the designs of others.
Gwen Marston is a very experienced teacher. She doesn't give instructions just explain very generously and with clarity how to make houses, stars and other blocks without templates.
What I specially like about her and I think is very encouraging for a beginer quilter is that she doesn't "hide" her most simple works and show us everything: the spectacular, the simple and the not-so-perfect works.
There are also beautiful and inspiring works of other liberated quilters.
The price is quite high but for me is the most helpful and inspiring book of all I bought (and I own more than thirty).
on 4 May 1998
After her book on quilting encouraged me to just draw freehand designs that suited the quilt and it's theme, this is the next logical step. Free yourself from all those old sewing rules, and just design and sew innovative pieces, in less time. Many projects are given, as well as step-by-step instructions.