Lexus: The Relentless Pursuit Paperback – 5 Apr 2011
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
From the Inside Flap
In 1989 German brands BMW and Mercedes–Benz dominated the luxury car market. Overnight, their world was changed by the launch of a brand new vehicle. The maverick newcomer was quicker, quieter, more economical and a full US$30,000 cheaper than its rivals. That car, the Lexus LS 400, sent shockwaves throughout the world’s automotive industry. It was Toyota Motor Corporation’s first foray into the global luxury market. Within two years of its introduction, Lexus overtook Mercedes–Benz for the crown of best–selling luxury import brand in the U.S. and had clinched top place in J.D. Power & Associates influential ratings for quality and service.
This revised edition of Lexus: The Relentless Pursuit includes a new Foreword by legendary designer Erwin Lui, an Afterword with updated material and a Coda by leading Japanese auto journalist Hisao Inoue. Plus:
- Find out what drove the Lexus brand’s success: the how’s and why’s of its reputation for top–notch quality, those unforgettable advertising campaigns and bespoke customer service
- Get the inside story on the growing pains of Toyota Motor’s luxury division, its vehicle development plans and the lawsuits that almost derailed the brand
- Discover how Lexus stumbled into its most successful line of vehicles: the luxury SUVs typified by the RX series
- Understand the boardroom intrigue as Toyota―and the Lexus brand―survived constant leadership change in Japan and U.S.
- Take a virtual tour of Toyota Motor’s crown jewel factories
- Delve into the race track triumph―and tragedy―behind the new $375,000 Lexus LFA “Supercar.”
This book is essential reading for automotive and business professionals.
From the Back Cover
20 Years of Defining Perfection
The author takes us on a breathtaking "genchi–genbutu" (meaning "go and see") as if we are in Toyota City. A must–read for a car nut.
CEO, Sano Research
Assistant Research Professor, Illinois Institute of Technology′s Institute of Design
With his strong focus on the personalities behind the brand, Chester Dawson has crafted a compelling insider look at Lexus and its whirlwind history, from the company′s risky beginnings and earliest setbacks to the current challenges it faces as the number one luxury car manufacturer in the United States. Lexus: The Relentless Pursuit is an essential read that I would recommend to both Lexus enthusiasts and anyone else looking for real insight into one of the world′s most successful business stories.
Kevin R.E. Watts
Editor, The Lexus Enthusiast
Praise for the Hard Cover Edition
Toyota is the best car company in the world. From a truck–maker in World War II to a carmaker in the 1950s to a Lexus maker in the 1980s, it excels everywhere. Chester Dawson is a Japanese–speaking investigative reporter who has got the inside story of Lexus and made it come alive.
Ezra F. Vogel
Henry Ford II Research Professor of the Social Sciences, Emeritus
Chester Dawson brings to life the story of Lexus. This is a tale of invention, consumer insight, dedication and resolve. Dawson tells the story with drama, vision and insider detail. He unlocks the keys to how Toyota took a vague idea and turned it into a flagship brand and a new automotive icon.
Senior Vice President, The Boston Consulting Group
While Detroit is still trying to figure out how Toyota made Lexus the best–selling luxury brand in the United States, Chester Dawson has dissected the Lexus story in an enlightening way. Lexus: The Relentless Pursuit brings to life the personalities who brought about an automotive phenomenon. This is a must–read not only for car buffs, but for any manager or executive who wants to understand how to create, sustain and expand an elite brand.
Author of The End of Detroit: How the Big Three Lost Their Grip on the American Car Market
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
On the other hand the book falls far short of the demands of anyone even mildly enthusiastic about cars. The author clearly does not possess much knowledge of the field as some comparisons and truly fundamental errors in understanding show throughout. Nissan being the only brand producing a sportscar in Japan up until the late 80s, being only a memorable one of the many similar examples.
So looking at it as a journal of how to create a luxury brand, it's OK, looking at it as an enlightening piece of writing about the automotive industry and it's specific challenges through the eyes of a new car brand launch, it is very sub par.
Book needed some more facts and figures for comparison and also some further investigation into why there is such a disparancy between US and European standings....but guess that is what you`ll have to argue about in your assignment...That`s what i did!!!!!!!!
good read, well done.
A model of how to do business
I can recommend this to all managers
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
The pace varies between boring detail and that which is intriguing. Worth a read for anyone looking to improve an industry or an interest in cars.
Only downside to the book is that i found it put a gloss of perfection on the make, though even the author had to note the struggles once MB and BMW caught back up in terms of price and technology. Lexus makes one heck of a fine product, but they didn't go an invent a flying car or anything.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Business, Finance & Law > Biographies & Histories > Business & Economic History
- Books > Business, Finance & Law > Biographies & Histories > Company Histories
- Books > Business, Finance & Law > Management
- Books > Reference > Transport > Automotive
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Automotive > Automobiles