The Letters and Prose Writings of William Cowper: Volume 4: Letters 1792-1799: Letters, 1792-99 Vol 4 (Letters & Prose Writings of William Cowper) Hardcover – 1 Mar 1984
|New from||Used from|
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
A model of editorial tact, thoroughness, and clarity. Not only does this edition greatly enlarge the canon of Cowper's prose, it provides at every point, unobtrusively and economically, exactly what the reader needs: a chronology of Cowper's life at the beginning of each volume, brief introductory characterizations of the volume as a whole and of Cowper's individual correspondents during the relevant period, precise textual information, concise annotation, lists of letters included and of those known to be missing, a fine index...indispensable. (Patricia Meyer Spacks, Journal of English and German Philology)
...all should be pleased with the authoritative text and the editors' criteria for selection. (The Eighteenth Century: A Current Bibliography)
About the Author
James King is the author of four previous novels: Faking, Blue Moon, Transformations, and Pure Inventions. He is also the author of eight works of biography, the subjects of which include William Blake, Margaret Laurence, Jack McClelland, and Farley Mowat. His biography of Herbert Read, The Last Modern, was nominated for the Governor General's Literary Award. James King lives in Hamilton, Ontario, and teaches at McMaster University in the Department of English.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biography > Essays, Journals & Letters
- Books > Biography > Novelists, Poets & Playwrights
- Books > Biography > Science, Mathematics & Technology > Science
- Books > Poetry, Drama & Criticism > Essays, Journals & Letters
- Books > Poetry, Drama & Criticism > History & Criticism > Literary Studies
- Books > Poetry, Drama & Criticism > Poetry
- Books > Science & Nature > Biological Sciences > Animal Sciences > Habitats
- Books > Science & Nature > Biological Sciences > Animal Sciences > Marine Life
- Books > Science & Nature > Biological Sciences > Hydrobiology
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Biology
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Linguistics > Reference