Customer reviews

Let Us Prey [VINYL]
Format: Vinyl|Change

on 11 April 2002
After the epic sludge of Dopethrone, Dorset's most miserable have gone even further. The music still bludgeons like no other, the songs(?) are still bleak but on the whole this offering feels deeper than anything they have produced so far. The scale and scope of the music is mindblowing (which is precisely the point). One track includes piano and violin parts but instead of sounding contrived, it works brilliantly; an indication of the musical genius at work here. If you liked previous Wizard releases you will love this. It's awesome. A doom masterpiece.
on 24 August 2008
This record threw me the first time I heard it. It really stands apart from their other releases. Electric Wizard have always been in my top list of favourite acts and I had gone a long while before I got hold of "Let Us Prey" - Aptly titled, for this is their most trance-enducing recording ever if you ask me. Psychedelic to the point of being rediculous would be a good way to describe this one too. Thats not a bad thing at all however! Rarely, if ever, are many bands able to keep a 9 minute song with only one riff interesting... not only that you are left wanting MORE of the riff after it is over. A strange feeling to feel methinks.

A fantastic feature of this wonderful band is their ability to really hone an album down to a particular style. This one is VERY sludge oriented - more than their other albums. The riffs they employ here are monsterous beasts that would swallow you whole, true, but these ones also have a nastier edge by using that more dark scale often found in sludge music.

This release is also the bands most psychedelic BY FAR. The music oozes tripped out guitar licks and hidden textures that undulate under the music causing a sense of motion and unease. The production, as always, is taken as paramount - you can tell these dudes are audio junkies and for that I really have the utmost respect.

All things said and done - if you ask me this is Electric Wizards finest moment. If you are an Electric Wizard fan then this MUST be a part of your collection.... you shall not be disappointed.
on 7 April 2003
I didn't know what to expect when I bought this album. I had gone into a musc store looking to buy the bands previous effort, Dopethrone, but alas it was not there. However, I didn't want to leave empty handed, so I took a deep breath and bought this instead. Was it worth it? Absolutely. The music is still brutally heavy but there is a more psychadelic edge to it, somewhat reminiscent of 70's prog music (but without the cheese and nonsense). Some people may find it a little repetitive, but that would be missing the point. This is a great album by a great band, and a superb introduction to them.
on 29 July 2008
Some unkind Wizard fans might view this album as being low on ideas. Admittedly there are fewer riffs on display here than on their other efforts but that is missing the point of this really rather incredible album. This album is all about the pschedelic madness that these massively stoned eejits have captured so perfectly. Certainly this is their scariest album (and that is really saying something)and possibly now my favourite. It is horribly dense, even by their own suffocating standards, and has so many hidden depths in the the sound and production that it boggles the mind. In fact Wizard, as any fan should know, use production as an instrument in and of itself, it is as integral to their sound as the heaviness of the guitars. Thank Electric Wizard for being willing to push themselves to the very edge to come up with this frankly terrifyingly messed up music so that we don't have to melt our own minds with the relative amount of pschedelic drugs.
Of course this still may not be to every fan's taste, but open your mind (and your mouth) and be prepared to stumble into the distance where a world of lumbering Lovecraftian monstrosities push mind bending substances upon you. (Be careful though.)
on 1 June 2010
Dopethrone is widely regarded as the best album to be spawned for from this Dorset based doom metal band, whilst a sublime album it is, I cannot help but ultimately conclude 'let us prey' their finest work. This album is just stunning! It is atmospheric, sinister, mind-bending and above all raw. It is in my view a more complete work than Dopethrone, the songs knit well and flow beautifully from each other, the tone is menacing throughout, it is weighty and crushing, yet psychedelic and spacy at the same time.

Not an album for a riff nut, but an ambient, psychedelic masterpiece. I recommend it to anyone with a patient musical ear.
on 5 July 2002
This is HUGE!
It's pure doom; heavy (HEAVY!), depressing, and extremely slow!
I wasn't expecting this record to be as good as it is!
Having heared Electric Wizard only once prior to buying this I was a bit sceptical as the only song I heared 'Vinum Sabbathi' from their (highly acclaimed) Dopethrone album, a poorly recorded piece of epic sludge. However, I'd heared that this album was awesome, it is in many ways!
After buying this i think my views on EWiz have changed!
If you were cast into the fires of hell this would be the background music!
Brilliant!
on 19 October 2015
As with other reviewers, I bought this album after hearing most of their others (Come My Fanatics, Dopethrone, Debut, We Live, Witchcult Today). It is definitely different to all of the others, perhaps the most so. The first album was straight-up doom metal and Come My Fanatics hinted at Electric Wizard's desire to add a mind-bending psychedelic quality to their music. Dopethrone was more abrasive and angry (though no less fantastic).

All that aside, this is a fantastic album. It is light on songs, with only 6, but has more experimentation that many of their other albums. One thing I will say is that each song is its own entity in that, though they make up a great album, they are all distinctly different enough to remember. For me, on later albums like Witchcult Today I found the songs to be too similar to one another which made it a less enjoyable listening experience. That said, I can understand some of the criticisms of Let Us Prey. We, the Undead frankly sounds out of place (potentially is would sound a bit out of place on any of their albums due to the up tempo nature of it). It is an okay song, but isn't great. Fortunately, the other five are very strong indeed.

The opener has a fantastic riff that really hooks the listener in and is an all time great EW song. Night and the Shape is an interesting piano led instrumental that I really like; it doesn't really progress, but I guess that isn't the point! Priestess of Mars is also a good song. However, the central pair of Master of Alchemy and The Outsider are what have convinced me to give the 5 and not 4 stars. The former is drenched in feedback at the outset and is punishing in the weight of the riffs (all 2 of them!?) How a band can create such a long song with relatively few ideas is baffling, but this never feels overly long. There are ambient passages too, but the section that starts halfway through is really mind-blowing. Listen to this at a decent volume through good headphones and you will be very hard pressed to resist! I guarantee it. The Outsider is another excellent instrumental. Although I prefer the former, it is still awash with psychedelic doom mastery.

A thoroughly different album, I heartily recommend Let Us Prey. I won't be drawn on stating whether it is better than other albums; all I will say is that it is different and hugely enjoyable. A dark masterpiece.
on 30 June 2007
The follow up to Electric Wizards `dopethrone' was always going to be tricky. However the Wizard effortlessly delivered the goods with this slice of magical, tripped out doom rock. The production is excellent and gives the whole album a tremendous sense of scale, the riffs are vast, the vocals practically dripping with analogue effects, the bass sound is thick and warm and the rhythms are satisfyingly pounding and primitive. The song writing is more diverse than any previous Wizard album and there are some surprising experimental songs here and there in amongst the more traditional riff heavy jam outs. Excellent music.
on 29 October 2007
This one's a bit debated amongst fans (following `Dopethrone' was never going to be easy), and for what it's worth here's my contribution: `Let Us Prey' is brilliant.

Terrorizer magazine gave it a rare 10/10 upon release, and while I wouldn't go that far I know what they heard that many others didn't. This is a kind of bite-size Wizard, with an album structure that makes the digestion of the tracks easier. It's possible to listen to this in one brief, exhilarating session without suffering the feedback-induced exhaustion of `Dopethrone'. Most fans would say that's the whole point of listening to the Wizard in the first place, but it doesn't have to be, even though aural abuse is certainly fun. The fact is, `Let Us Prey' is every bit as heavy and savage as the rest of their catalogue. The production work is especially notable, as Jus' guitar and Tim's bass lock in together to devastating effect - check out the monstrous first riff of `Master Of Alchemy' for ample proof. In fact, almost all of these riffs are monstrous. Jus does his usual ultra-distorted stoner drawl over these pounding repetitions, augmented with gutter-level psychedelic phase and flange sweeps in the background. The album in general sounds more like a jamming Wizard, although the songs are framed within the ten-minute mark to ensure the riffs don't stew themselves and become ponderous. The surprises come in the form of the shorter tracks - `We The Undead' has a punky edge that makes the band sound like it's frantically sweating along to catch up with their own tempo.

After the benchmark `Come My Fanatics...', `Let Us Prey' is their most atmospheric work, and is obviously the product of an excitingly unstable vibe. The band had just returned from a US tour that left them broke and unemployed, and they quickly recorded again, leaving us this weird, fraught album that nonetheless hits all the bases and provides us with a snapshot of the band blindly trying to re-establish their mission statement. And succeeding, naturally.

This is still essential Wizard, even by the standards of those who write this off as a `Dopethrone' addendum. It's not - it's the unnerving last gasp of the classic line-up shortly before its implosion. And then came Mark II, a very different animal entirely...
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 23 April 2009
Not as good as Dopethrone but better than any other metal band out there. A Chosen Few has one of the best riffs of ALL time. Buy it for that alone!! Buy this and hail the one and only true metal band around today!! Death to Nu/Death/Black all poser genres!!!