on 19 January 2018
I knew about this company before reading this book, so I was already aware of most of the story. However, I was somewhat ignorant of the degree to which Chouinard and his team had gone to ensure that the company and their products conformed to the basic ideas behind Patagonia - care in why, what and how their products are produced/transported/sold and what then happens after all this is done. A series of essays on world ecology and the ruination of our planet have made me think about what I do as a consumer in this great worldwide commercial race towards bottom-line profits.
on 2 January 2011
Having used Patagonia clothing for years, my local retailer asked if I knew much about the company, it's history and ethos, which I didn't. So he lent me this book, which is how I came to be sending a copy to my daughter and her husband who run a design and landscaping business. The author and owner of Patagonia provides a blueprint of how all businesses should develop and run. Chouinard started by making an selling a niche climbing product out of the back of his car to maintain a low impact climbing / surfing lifestyle and slowly grew a world wide business on the basis of total integrity to product quality, environmental impact at every stage of manufacture and concern for his employees and those of his suppliers. This at a time when these issues weren't issues at all as far as the world in general was concerned. He describes a working environment that I think many of us would aspire to work in, where employees are encouraged and even resourced to take on environmental issues and a percentage of sales (not just profits) are given to support research and action to protect our fragile earth and communities. Following the disastrous practices of the banking community, MBA courses are waking up to the ethical and environmental dimensions of business and I feel this should be on the reading list for all "business studies".
6 people found this helpful
on 11 October 2017
A very interesting read. I am by no means an eco-warrior, but it is certainly interesting and awareness raising reading how Patagonia goes about making an environmental difference in their mission. It's also very refreshing to see a very successful company encouraging a work-life balance, when the world of American corporations is caught up in working 20 hour days.

Definitely worth a read.
on 7 March 2018
As close as you'll get to integrity and honesty in a business book. An inspiration. Read it. Change your business.
on 9 February 2018
Really interesting book about Patagonia- a must read for any one interested in sustainable business.
on 20 August 2013
This book was everything that I thought it would be from a man I much admired 30 years ago when I climbed. Spot on as far as his view of how our world works and could work. Will become a one of those books that I buy for all of my children to use as a guide to help them try to get things right along the way.
3 people found this helpful
on 19 July 2017
A great read, a book every modern business owner should read.
on 22 December 2017
Incredibly inspiring. A wonderful book about creating a sustainable life - respecting resources and people. Every aspiring entrepreneur and business owner should read this
on 17 November 2017