Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change
Price:£45.00+ Free shipping

on 16 October 2007
Or thats the quote on many a website. I bought this torch as an aid for my outdoor persuits including finding my chocolate brown lab in the darker months.

I was replacing a 4D cell maglite that i used to own and was looking for a long life LED version when i stumbled upon this.

The battery life is supposed to be 50 hours plus and the range of the beam 60m. It has a flood - focus adjustment (operated in the same way as the maglite). The focus is incredibly bright and intense, but the flood is still quite focussed; I dont get the same coverage I did from the maglite but the light is much whiter and range is equally as good.

I was more impressed by build quality. All screw fittings feel well engineered and secure. Rubber seals are neat and well sized but my biggest shock came when I opened the torch up to inspect the battery compartment. Instead of the usual method of inserting the battery, this torch has a canister type arrangement that is completely removed, put batteries in the insert, replace the insert, but the most surprising thing is the attention to quality; all contacts and current pathways are gold plated for the best possible connection.

All this coupled with the small size, weatherproof construction, incredible light weight, pouch with belt loop and clip and well presented packaging makes this the only torch I will ever need.
33 comments| 462 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 July 2008
I was so disappointed with a 2 cell Maglite that I purchased years back that I was not inclined to spend much on another torch but night-blindness getting worse so I relented. This torch is quite brilliant in every way and you have to take great care not to shine it in your, or anyone else's eyes. First class product and value for money. Great idea for a gift - according to my son!
0Comment| 104 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 December 2008
Read the reviews of this item and couldn't understand how people were getting excited about some thing as boring as a torch. However I did need a new torch and since it was rated very high I brought this model. I now understand, its just so good! I wanted to replace my mini-mag with an LED equivalent, its is easily as well made as mag, but in addition to the mag its much brighter, and since it uses an LED the battery will last much longer. It seems to have managed to focus the light perfectly so that maximum light is where you point the torch and you don't loose anything around the edges, I assume this is why it appears much brighter than a conventional torch.

I brought this item at a reduced cost, but can easily see how they can charge £40 for a torch - I'm a very satisfied customer.
22 comments| 54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 April 2009
As I work nights, I required a torch which has a long burn-time and also is great value. This torch does both, and a whole lot more. Having used D cell Maglites in the past, and been quite disappointed with the light quality and the burn-time, this torch is exceptional.

It arrived in a great gift box, which was very well packed, and the belt holster (with free mini-carabine clip) is hard-wearing and protects the torch well.

As for the torch itself, the spot to flood option is great and gives good coverage overall. I have never been so impressed by such a small torch ever. If you're looking for a torch, then buy this one! You will NOT be disappointed.
on 11 September 2009
I've waited until experiencing this item before posting.

INFO
It comes with:
* String loop (to be looped around wrist etc while using) which works well.
* Small mountain climbing style clip (suitable for attaching small items like this torch).
* Well made Solid box.
* Three Good AAA batteries
* Synthetic material 'holster.' This seems strong and fit for purpose. Hasn't fallen apart.

The light is amazingly white. Compare it to a normal tourch and you'll see how yello the normal light is. In terms of illumination id prefer this LED over my hefty 1mil candle power torch. This item taught me that LED is supreme and that it's the future.

This torch has a variable focus so you can go from spot to flood light. The spot light is very good although at distence it is quite wide (therefore light intensity is diminished). The variation isn't huge but its enough to move between focusing and general lighting.

When you point it at the sky you can see the beam quite clearly. Fog is fun.

I've tested it and you can see it lighting up trees over 100 metres away. Useful (ie being able to see most of what you want) is perhaps 70 metres. For anything within 50 metres it's ideal.

This torch is useful for any standard needs. If you want something stupidly bright, i'd suggest a more expensive (and therefore more powerful) version. But from what ive seen, the bigger types aren't necessary.

The button is on the end of this one so you can turn it on quickly and easily. The button also allows for signals. The flash is brilliant. I've blinded many of my friends (for a while). This device would have the effect of confusing someone if it was flashed at them at night. You can see the imprint of the beam for minutes after it has hit your eyes.

The 3 AAA batteries load via a cannister which is inserted into the body of the torch.

The build quality is excellent. Equal to a maglight. When i screw the end back on it really feels like im creating a tight seal. Hard knocks have no effect.

This torch produces very little heat if left on.

It has coped well with extreme weather (snow, heat, rain).

It's small enough to fit in a pocket. Anything bigger would be too bulky.

So far the battery life has been excellent. The supplied batteries lasted months. When I got some new top quality ones the light was much whiter as well as brighter.

My only problem with this superb item is that it may be too bright. If you're looking at something very close (in your hand etc.) the reflection is very powerful and may dazzle you. Problem somewhat solved by holding torch at arms length above head.

Yeah so the only problem is it being too bright for some in-close use.

Overall this is a great item. I only write thourough reviews of things that are great or are terrible. I've taken the time on this one as its great.

Best torch i've ever owned. I've bought two so far and plan to give more as presents.

UPDATE
Had this torch for maybe three years now. still works. still blinds me every so often.
my old 3 cell maglite remains in a box somewhere. unloved, and not required.
44 comments| 69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 March 2008
I need and use for work a good quality, well made, reliable torch thats not to big gives great performance by way of light and battery life and can fit onto my belt with the aid of a belt case (supplied). Well this torch goes beond all of my hopes and dreams, its great, best torch I have ever bought.
on 31 October 2008
Being a bit of a flashoholic i did my research before buying this item. Suffice to say it is impressive. It certainly does light up your way in the dark and if you think it isnt bright then get hold of any other torch you currently possess and do a comparison. Not so good for using as a close reading aid though as it is too bright. All in all though probably the best torch you will ever buy.
on 16 March 2008
I bought this based on the previous reviews and i have to say i am very pleased. I chose the Cobalt colour which has a great finish.

The torch itself is very bright and when i have to go outside at night the beam is so bright it looks like daytime. A little pricey but given that the lifetime of the torch it was good value for money.

Test it pack??
The only thing that initially confused me was the mandatory gift box or a test it pack.Although i chose the normal gift box i later learned that the test it pack is for shop displays so you can press a button on the packaging and see the light beam. Why they would be sold on here for nearly £10 more is a mystery, as i am sure most people buying it will be using it as a torch and not as a shop display.
on 9 November 2008
This torch is very bright and the build quality is excellent. The focus ability sets it apart. You could spend alot more money on an LED torch but there is no point. I would highly recommend this torch to anyone looking to upgrade to LED.
on 11 March 2011
These torches are supposedly built to last. Well a drop from shoulder height (about 1.4m) killed mine instantly. Initially I thought the torch good enough. Construction felt solid enough and the beam was as bright as my much larger Maglite. However, I have since bought better torches for less than half the price. Check out any number of Cree LED torches before buying this. My latest is brighter, has been under water, dropped from height, trodden on and is still going strong, all for less than 15quid. They are out there don't be taken in by the Lenser range.