Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Pre-order now Shop Men's Shop Women's
Customer Discussions > LEGO Lord of the Rings (PS3) forum

Lego: LotR rated a '12' ... ?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 9 Dec 2012 11:12:51 GMT

Our kids have been looking forward to Lego: Lord of the Rings for ages. Imagine their disappointment (and our shock) when we found out that it had been rated '12'.

In our family we enforce the age ratings, and so there is a lot of disappointment that they aren't going to be able to play this (even though they have read the books).

Any ideas why it's been rated a '12'? Are they expecting everyone to just ignore the ratings?

I'm also a little confused because at least one of the box photos on the Amazon website has a '7' on it.

Thoughts welcomed. (though please don't criticise us to heavily for enforcing age ratings. It's something we've thought about a lot)

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Dec 2012 12:39:16 GMT
Last edited by the author on 14 Dec 2012 12:41:38 GMT
Dadbak234 says:
Joe, i have bought this for my children, but the kids wont let me play it.
I cannot understand the age rating at all, however i believer it is because the characters hold swords/bow and arrows etc, and obviuosly because they were used to kill orcs (in lego fashion no blood etc)
Initially they planned to use alternative weapons, but it detracted from the point of the films.
So because of this they had to up the rating to a 12. The game is real fun and it would be a shame for your kids to miss out because of lego bricks being hit with lego arrows.
The copy incidently that i purchased on Amazon was a 7+.
Hope that helps!

Posted on 23 Dec 2012 02:52:09 GMT
N. Nimz says:
I think, I know what causes the confusion.

If you enlarge the pictures and take a look at the Pegi-rating, right under the 12-rating stand "provisional". That's gone with the 7-rating, so my guess is, that they thought about giving it a 12-rating, but ended up with 7.
Which is the better choice, if you ask me. After all, it's Lego... Fun, but not brutal.

Btw - if there are games, you consider for your kids, but rating is to high, I recommend trying the game yourself or watching videos of the game.
I'm from Germany, and we are oh so lucky to have the USK (oh, yeah, big sarcasm here, pretty much everybody despises them ^^), and the ratings are sometimes plain ridiculous ^^
Pegi is more on the right route, but some kids, can play games for older kids without taking any damage.
So enough off topic.

Especially, because in the end, I think it's great, if there are still parents, who take care of what the kids are allowed to play! :)

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Mar 2013 17:22:36 GMT
moonlitwolf says:
Hi, I am in total agreement over your confusion - my nine-year old son has been looking forward to getting Lego LOTR for his DS and I've just gone to Amazon to order it for him. Like you, I noticed the PEGI rating on the box front/photo is a 7, but if you scroll down to Game Details, it says it's rated 12. I am not going to buy now and we are all very disappointed. I feel very cross that it is not very clear and, in terms of Trading Standards, am wondering if it is misleading information. Is anyone in authority able to clarify whether the game is suitable for 7+ or 12+????

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Apr 2013 15:16:05 BDT
Just so you know ... We ordered this and when it turned up it was a 7+.

I'd also say that there is no way that any of the content is scary or disturbing, if you're used to Lego games. I'd be quite comfortable with a 7-year-old playing it (though ours are a little older now).

‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  4
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  9 Dec 2012
Latest post:  1 Apr 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

This discussion is about
LEGO Lord of the Rings (PS3)
LEGO Lord of the Rings (PS3) by Warner Bros. Interactive (PlayStation 3)
4.6 out of 5 stars (198)