on 12 August 2001
I started reading this book, which I had picked up mainly on the storyline, not knowing the author, in the train and I have to say, the 3 hour journey went like a flash. Within 48h I had finished it and I must say that when I reached its end, it was nothing like I had expected in the beginning. I somehow expected some more traditional description of mix races, dual cultures and while the book does deal with these issues, its treatment is, to say the least, a little alternative.
To start explaining why would be spoiling part of the book's quality, which is you never expect what comes next. In that respect it actually reminded me of some parts of "Tale of the cites and other volumes, by A Maupin", in that some of the story line is pretty wacky.
I've read this book in French (I live in France), but I expect that the style is probably even better in the original text.
To cut a long story short, this book is nothing like what I have read before (and I read a lot), it avoids all clichés, it has a gripping, direct style and yet contains more than dialogue, the plot is never completely predictable and it has some humor, albeit, as mentioned in the synopsis, quite dark. The only down side and again, it is a minor point, is that the end is pretty violent so if you don't want disturbing reading, don't read this book. otherwise, i recommend it and I have now got another book from her "The holder of the world" which I hope will be just as good.