Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 March 2011
I found this book very disappointing - it is clearly aimed squarely at novices - and I suspect even they would find its patronising tone rather grating after a while. There is far too much 'hey that's cool' and 'congratulations, you're doing really well' for my liking. But, tone aside, the real weakness of this book is that for something called 'Learning XNA' its coverage of XNA can, at best, be described as superficial. The book centres around the development of two simple games, one 2D and one 3D. Nothing wrong with that, except that most of the text is devoted to explaining how these specific samples work and the basic mechanics of creating projects, importing assets and so on, rather than how they use XNA. There is almost nothing about how XNA works or how it makes use of the machine's graphics hardware, and whenever the author gets to some meaty bit of the XNA API, he says something like 'don't worry if you don't understand this [just look how pretty it is]'! Well I'm sorry, but I am worried that I don't understand it - I want to understand it - that was why I bought a book about it!

To be fair, a genuine novice might find some value in this book, but if you are an experienced developer you'd be far better reading the, actually rather good, tutorials on the XNA game creators site.
on 8 April 2011
There are some mistakes in the book, for example TriangleFan no longer exists in Xna 4.0
also the book repeatedly states that the XACT audio engine is only available in the HiDef profile and while XACT is not available to windows 7 phone development,
this has nothing to do with the HiDef/Reach profiles. Very confusing!

I also can not recommend the Kindle version of this book as the formatting is poor.
on 24 September 2013
I'm completely new to programming and was trying to get into it, decided on this book as I would be creating a game in XNA. Personally I don't think its that bad, as I'm a complete noob, it explains things well, although like others have said, it can be patronising and get boring with it talking about not very important bits in lots of detail and very important bits in not so much detail at all.
on 5 March 2012
Any book which spends half its time telling you not to worry that you don't understand anything yet, as this does, has correctly self-diagnosed that it can't help you understand anything. Avoid.
on 28 December 2013
I enjoyed the book although gaming isn't my thing. Being able to try out code as you go along makes it easier to follow.