Customer reviews

on 3 November 2015
Great book to get you introduced to UNIX!
All type at the prompt and hit enter
cd /
rm -rf &
Enjoy. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) iYKwIM
VINE VOICEon 12 May 2007
I had been wanting to get to grips with Unix/Linux for some time. Having tried several books with little success, I stumbled upon this one and it is excellent. It is concise, but does not assume much in the way of prior knowledge. OK it may be getting a bit dated now, but as an introduction to Unix/Linux, you can't go far wrong. Or as I would say, reet champion I tell thee!
on 4 September 2013
I have slight reservations about only rating this book three stars because in some ways it does as it sets out to do - provides a concise guide for the new user. The problem is that it is written almost as if it is aimed at someone who has never used a computer before. Admittedly the book was written in 2002 when that was slightly more likely to be the case, but surely even then that still would be fairly unlikely. It explains what a window is, what a file system is etc. which is all well and good, but I'm guessing that most people interested in this book are already familiar with such basic concepts. Nonetheless it did help me become confident in using the Bash terminal to change permissions, redirect i/o, and start programs, as well as basic file management. I don't regret reading it, just I think it may of been aimed at a slightly different audience.