Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 17 July 2014
I find this book hard to follow for a number of reasons. Sometimes the author leaves out steps or instructions and the next step in the instruction doesn't match what's seen on screen. On another occasion the author refers to a document that has apparently been created in a previous exercise but there is no trace of the document or its saved name in any other part of the book. In both instances these led to exercises that I was unable to complete.

In addition I haven't found the writing style particularly easy to follow. He is lazy when referring to dialog box and control titles which leads to ambiguity and this only makes it much harder to work out what went wrong when an exercise does not turn out as the book predicts. In addition he has a habit of referring to content that appeared in previous iterations his books, but do not appear in this book.

There is a contact address for the author on the publisher's page for this book and I have attempted to contact the author at this address, seeking help on exercises I could not complete, but I have not received any response. All in all, as a user wanting to learn how to use SSRS 2012 effectively, I have learnt little from this book and have invested a higher than expected amount of time and effort into extracting useful knowledge from it. I got about halfway through the book before I decided it was time to cut my losses and buy a replacement from another author.

I learnt something, but for the errors and the effort this item is just way too expensive, at over £30 for this book and at least £20 for the one to replace it.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 August 2013
There are a lot of SSRS books out there. Some are good and some are not so good. This book falls into the good category. The author has allowed time to discuss Sharepoint which as we all know is an essential part of the MSFT BI stack. Not only does the author tell you how to use the product he also invites you to conduct hands-on exercises which confirm what you have read.
All in all not a bad book.