on 13 April 2009
Fortunately I learned to read music whilst a Choir Boy many years ago, now 65, so when I decided to take up the Keyboard as a hobby I was fortunate to have remembered the basics. Nevertheless purchasing this and several others besides I was immediately struck by the simple way this book described the mysteries of reading music. I first found it in my local library but soon realized that I needed a copy for myself so purchased one from Amazon. It is a book to settle down and go through slowly, preferably with your keyboard close at hand to practice the exercises with. Although most 'Easy Learning' Keyboard books say you will be playing familiar song within a couple of weeks I sincerely do recommend that you study "LEARNING TO READ MUSIC" by Peter Nickol before running ahead of yourself and picking up bad habits that you will repeat and repeat over and over again. It covers almost everything you need to know to gain a sound foundation for years of pleasure on your Keyboard.
on 24 December 2009
An excellent book. It is clearly laid out and assumes no prior knowledge of music. I would heartily recommend this book.
on 19 June 2001
This is an excellent book for anyone who would love to be able to read music, but thinks it would just be too difficult. This book assumes no prior knowledge on the part of the reader (you don't even need to know what all those black lines and dots mean!). The book is very easy to understand and is well-written. By the end of the book the reader should be able to read a piece of music (the book gives examples of different types of music). This book is especially ideal for anyone who is learning to play an instrument.
on 16 July 2011
This is a very good book from which to learn reading music
It is clearly laid out and can be easily followed even for beginners and it covers all you need to know for a basic mastery of the subject
Strongly recommended
on 11 January 2011
A useful book to own. It's concise and informative and just what you need if you are interested in trying to learn to read music.
I cannot say much more in that it does exactly what it says it does, explains all of those squiggles and symbols, but this book does so in an easy to understand, plain English style.
on 9 January 2013
For all would be piano or keyboard players I would heartily recommend this book.
Like many others of my age I was "sent" to piano lessons but my teacher terrified me and I soon gave it up. I was determined to find a good teacher for my 3 daughters.. All three did well though only one pursued a musical career. Now my granddaughters are learning and this gave me the stimulus to start again. This book is so helpful and explains everything so well. Go for it! Be determined to succeed!
We might be a bit slower but we oldies have staying power!
on 28 August 2011
I purchased this book after deciding I want to learn to read music at 52yrs old.
I have had the book 2 weeks and can say I can now read music.
Ok, I can not play a musical instrument (that's next on my list) but I can read any music score put in front of me, although not up to a speed that could let me play anything.
My only criticism is that it sticks to the old style names Crotchet etc when most of the other books or teaching methods use the Americanisms i.e. 1/4 note etc.
Well worth the money.
on 16 November 2010
I am a beginner guitar player (2 yrs). I can read TAB and play most music from it. I deceided to try and read notation as well. This book is exactly what I needed. It is simple, easy to understand and tells you everything you need to know without making it complex or to "high Brow". I would reccommend it for anyone with little or no knowledge as an excellent starter. You will however need a second book to help with rhythm.
on 23 November 2015
Wow!
Have always wanted to read music; as well as also wishing to play the piano - even very badly!.
I can actually play some pieces on the piano I have memorised (sort of), and the family say I have a good ear for music generally. However, it has always seemed silly to me to even attempt to play a musical instrument properly without being able to read music itself.
So, having espied this book on the site, and also having read the positive reviews, I thought I would take the plunge.
Admittedly, I have only recently started some serious studying, but the book is very user friendly, and even an ignoramus such as yours truly can manage to figure it out. Long way to go, but I think this book will be a sound investment.
Recommended.
on 2 October 2012
A very useful book-well written in clear, sometimes humorous language. Well laid out. Ideally needs to be used in conjunction with a keyboard.Good for beginners or intermediate users as it covers the basics or as a refresher course.I enjoyed reading it as the information was given in small 'chunks' and allowed for testing understanding by having a few questions at the end of most of the chapters. (the answers are at the back!)