on 19 April 2014
the item says that it was for beginners to use but i would say that the aurthor has forgotten what a beginner is because he forget that he has degrees in this and beginners dont but aart from that everything else was good.
on 28 December 2002
I'm not at all a programmer. I had some programming classes in modula2 during my training in biotechnology and played a bit with BASIC but I didn't do any seriuous programming till I read this book.
I read the first chapters of this book, had the feeling I understood some, put it aside and came back later. At the second glance I had a "Aha" experience. I devoured the other chapters and now I'm really programming. I won't built a wordprocessor from scratch yet, but I'm able to use python (a very powerfull language) to solve realworld problems and help me maintaining a website, make a simple organiser and so on.
Thank you Mark Lutz and David Ascher for your book, thank you Guido van Rossum for the python language.
14 people found this helpful
on 19 March 2000
Learning Python was where I started out when learning the Python language - it assumes no previous programming experience, although I would advise the absolute beginner to start on something a little more basic. The book is divided into two parts. The first, written by Mark Lutz, takes the reader step-by-step through the basics of the language, providing familiarity with the core of the language. The second, smaller part of the book is written by David Ascher, and is the only thing which prevented me from awarding the book five stars - although it provides applications of the language to common tasks and problems, I thought it was a little too messy and abstract to be of any real use. The method adopted in Programming Python is much better. Overall, a great starting point for learning Python, and a worthy stepping stone for some of the larger, more advanced books available.
13 people found this helpful
on 6 June 1999
I found the book to be very good, and especially liked the "gotchas" section at the end of each chapter.
Half of the book is dedicated to some realistic, ableit small, examples which is also quite good.
The book thoroughly covers all the language basics but certinaly does not teach object-oriented programming so do not expect that.
4 people found this helpful
on 23 April 2001
I can thoroughly recommend this book to anyone learning Python. The layout of the book is clear and logical: it works from the basics of the language up through functions and modules to classes and exceptions. I found the writing clear and easy to understand.
Bear in mind that as this is a tutorial book, it only covers the core language, not the library modules or the GUI toolkits. However, as an introductory programming book, it is excellent and deserves a place on your bookshelf.
10 people found this helpful
on 17 October 2002
Excellent book, covers the language really well and has enough to get you started really quickly without delving too far into it!
Well worth a look to anyone Learning Python