Format: Paperback|Change

on 22 June 2014
I bought it with an expectation that there'd be direct examples or explanations of things to carry out in Unity using C#, but actually the book really focuses solely on C#, and puts it in a Unity contextual environment.

You won't see any example projects or direct tutorials, but it does show you different implementations of how to execute well known functions and procedures such as limited/numbered loops, and basic programming concepts anyone should know when starting out.

A stellar book that basically helped me climb over the final steep part of my learning curve with programming, and finally gave me that "eureka" moment with programming in general, and not just C#.

If you've tried to learn programming, but are just finding it a tad bit difficult, and are looking for that "holy grail" book to finally sink it into your head, this book will knock you over to the other side of the fence you're standing on. If you're a programmer but are trying to learn C# specifically for Unity, you'll breeze through this in days.
on 4 March 2015
Why 4 stars, and not 5 though? First off, just let me say that the book is very interesting and I find myself wanting to learn more and more. It's written in a relaxed style and the explanations do their job well- you really get the "A-ha!" moments. The problem is that the book seems not to have been proof read, or if it was, it was proof read by someone whom has no concept of grammar or punctuation. Not a "biggy", but enough to annoy at times.

Highly recommended for the beginner that wants to make a start with understanding basic C# concepts. However, this is not a "Learn Unity" book, it's a Learn C# using MonoBehaviour, and assumes you have some basic understanding of the Unity interface. If you don't, there are many tutorials via Unity.com and videos on YouTube (ooh look- a 'Method' ;) ) to help you get familiar with the Unity layout- that said, what you need to know about Unity is really basic stuff.
on 25 May 2015
This book (on Kindle for me) is ideal for me. I had a go at learning C# last year with a beginner's book on Visual C# but the thing was I could not get and see my results readily in the context of authoring games and making progress in that sense. Now I have effectively abandoned other applications in favour of Unity3D I turned again to C#. This time around, and with this book, and in simple stages, so SO much easier to make progress. Hat's off to the author. Hope he writes a book about the new Unity GUI and Unity 5.x as well... ;)
on 26 February 2014
I am giving this book 4 stars as the rating score really reflects how I feel about this book.The title is a bit misleading; if you want to learn C# you really need to get yourself a proper C# book. This is a good/optional reference for a beginner but definitely will not teach you how to code properly (except real basics which you can pick up within a couple of days of tutorials, etc).

This book teaches you a bit about variables and methods but still I'd recommend some deeper knowledge of C# to really understand the content. It mentions inheritance and collections but I am sure that someone with no previous experience with the language with struggle to come up with his/her own solutions.

It introduces the `State Machine` quite well and you get a chance to build your own which is quite an important concept with game making. I really liked the chapter about the State Machine it's well explained as well as demonstrated.

After you finish working through the book (assuming you have no previous programming knowledge/experience) you will walk away being able only to repeat what was in the book. You most likely are not going to be able to kick off with a project (I mean project not a very simple game) of your own. It's like an overview of how things work in general. I am not new to programming but I bought this book to get familiar with Unity Engine - it did not exceed my expectations but it was OK. Even though the book is very basic and limited it is very well written and it's hard to get lost following it.

I would recommend this book to anyone who is new to Unity and programming in general. If you already have some C# knowledge you will be better off watching some tutorials and figuring things out on your own (assuming you know how to at least navigate around Unity, create game objects, creating scripts, attaching scripts so they become GameObjects components etc ).
This book seems perfect for youngsters, people who are just starting their adventure of game making.
on 5 August 2014
Useful for getting off the ground and being able to understand the way the Unity3D game objects work.
I already could code in C# so I wasn't trying to learn the language. Not sure how effective it is in that aim.
on 14 November 2013
Despite the fact that i had some knowledge on programming, i found this book extremly helpful. I had no idea about c# and yet after the first pages i found my self saying "hey this is getting easy". This book is really well writen, the author covers everything (and more) that i needed to know about c#, he used very good examples , his explanations are really in detail and easy to understand. I totally recommend this book to those who has no idea how to programm or how you write codes in c#. 5 stars from me!!!
on 17 January 2015
Just started working through this and am loving the approach. Plain and simple walk-through explaining all the basic stuff like what a class and a variable is, what's the difference between a class and a method, meaning words like "public" and void. Quick and easy "have a go" suggestions using Unity to demonstrate what he means. Will provide another review when I've finished, but unusually for me, I'm finding that this book has a pull and I'm wanting to and learn more about the beauty of programming in C# by developing games.
on 31 January 2014
Not a bad book but it definitely doesn't really help you understand the fundamentals of programming. I feel like I could only repeat the tasks I've learnt so far with the book by my side. It's ok as a reference, but don't expect to be able to develop games straight after reading it.
on 23 July 2014
Want to learn Unity? Want to learn C#? Want to develop games?

Look elsewhere.

The book is split into 2 halves. In the first, you learn the basics of C# (syntax, names etc.) and that's fairly standard fare. The second half involves working on a "project" in which you develop a game.

I opted for the digital edition of this book. The first red flag is when you realise that there's screenshots of the code you're replicating. Actually, I quite like this approach in theory: it forces the beginner to write out the snippets which may help aid memory retention. In practice, it makes it difficult to follow and breaks the flow of the book.

The second red flag is the examples. Variables and 'if' statements are taught by asking whether or not the bear makes potty in the woods, and checking it against a defined temperature variable (which then determines how large and smelly the bear's 'potty' is) to get the result. It's actually quite an effective teaching method but - and this 'bear' thing goes on for a few chapters more - it's difficult to not to raise the question "Was that really an appropriate example?". Other attempts at humour by the author fall equally flat in their childish nature.

Having said that, after each code segment the author breaks everything down, line by line, so that the reader can see how the computer reads and executes the instructions passed to it. This method gets a bit confusing the closer you reach the midway point, as you're now dealing with various scripts, and the author is forced to bounce between the two when discussing global variables and methods.

While we're on the subject of 'scripts', the author gets a bit confused. Very early on he explains that you are not making a 'script' as much as you are defining a 'class' and that he would be using 'class' throughout the rest of the book... then switches back to 'scripts' interchangeably. Of course, it's a minor issue, but one that can cause confusion.

All in all, you're probably better off looking elsewhere. It's not a particularly good book for anything other than a reference guide for somebody who isn't completely confident in their programming skills/memory. It definitely has it's uses, but the title is very, very misleading.
on 15 September 2015
Just picked up unity a couple of weeks ago, no experience with c# found this book to be a God send while muddling through scripts. Have recommended it to a few people. A Good investment. :)