on 28 November 2015
As a first tablet / computer for a child, it is decent. It is easy to use and the range of games are good for keeping children (mine were 3/4 & 5/6) entertained for long periods, particularly on long car journeys.

The major drawback is that you can end up spending a small fortune on games (although 1 purchase can be uploaded to 3 devices) as there aren't (m)any free games for the children to download.

I'm not sure if it is a common fault but one of the two devices stopped working after about 8 months. The touch screen simply stopped responding. By the time this happened, my child had lost interest in the device.

All-in-all, it is a decent buy that young children will enjoy but a lack of free games lets it down and I have question marks over their endurance.
on 28 November 2015

on 26 July 2013
Yes you have to buy the games separtely if you want lots of choice, but there are some that you can download for free when you first connect it. My 4 year old daughter adores her leap pad, she loves the alpahet video with Leap and also the games that come with it, We have bought a couple of extras, like the tangled game, and some of the downloadables but when you see how long they play on them I do think they are worth it. Just look at what your child likes and tailor accordingly. There are levels which you can change in order to challenge them with harder words etc, but to be honest using the leapfrog connection software is a nightmare. It is sooooo slow, I usually give up. The leappad I think is the best explorer/gamer concept that leap pad has come up with yet. My son has the leapster which he at the time spent over 300 hours on in the couple of years he played on it. He now tries to borrow his little sisters leap pad whenever he can. and he doesn't mind if they are girlie games.
on 6 January 2013
My daughter us 4 and I brought her this for christmas, I didn't want an adult version tablet as I knew she would have trouble with the functions and with her leappad 2 she is able to function it with great ease and being a tablet aimed for children it is very child friendly and where she can play games but learn at the same time which is what I like about this device.

It was easy to set up and I have already downloaded about 6 apps ranging from £3.50 to £20 in price. The disney apps and popular children's character apps tend to be more expensive but you can purchase some good apps for a lower price which will still be entertaining for children. As quite a few have said a lot of the apps are expensive but you can buy cheaper apps than £20 and for me I will be buying the more expensive apps as an every now and then thing.

My daughter's favourite games are jewel train which comes with the device already and is quite a good popular game where the children have to use logic to problem solve, dice ahoy which I purchased and which is a number game where she can either play as a 2 player game with a friend or she can play against the pirate and roly poly 2 treasure hunt which also came with the device and she spends a lot of her time on this game which helps to teach them motor skills and number recognition. My daughter is only 4 and is already recognising numbers that are in to the 50s and beyond because of this game. I don't normally play games myself but have played on her leappad quite a few times as it is fun and my daughter and her dad even fight over who is going to play with it so for adults it can be quite fun to play with too.

The only snags are the touch screen can be tempermental at times which is usually the case with most touch screen devices anyway and also the device eats batteries like you would not believe. It takes 4 AA batteries but they will only last an hour to an hour and half of continueous play so I have brought the AC mains plug and she plays with it attached to the wall now as she is not bothered just yet about being mobile and moving around with the device and is quite happy to sit down with it. You can buy leappad 2 rechargable batteries but these are quite expensive but is something I am looking at purchasing in the future if and when she wants to be mobile with it for when she gets in to using the camera and video recorder.

This was my daughters main present and although she got plenty of other gifts she won't play with any of them but her leappad 2 and I have had t limit her play on it because given the chance and when she isn't at school she will easily be on it all day long as she loves it that much. What I also like about this device is the parent can go on the their leappad account to keep track of their child's learning and you can find out what games they have been playing recently and what they have learnt from playing those games.
on 24 July 2013
We've now got 2 of these, green for him and pink/purple for her, I was a bit weary about getting a tablet for young kids but it's the way things are going so got them and really wouldn't look back, they really do teach in such a great interesting way for the kids that they don't realise they're learning. When the kids are good now, rather than buy a treat that would be in the bin after a week, they choose a new game/app for the leapad and whether it's the ebooks teaching them to read or maths games or problem solving, they all really do teach them well. The ebooks are very interactive so your child can read at his/her pace and if struggling on a word can simply touch the word and it says it to them, it has motion page turning and even interacts if they touch an object on the page. Only thing that disappointed me was that just after buying 2 of these they announced a new version which has wifi, would have preferred to have been told this when buying but anyway, these are still great
on 28 December 2012
Why oh why aren't there UK English variants of the apps? I don't want my son to learn his alphabet with an American accent thanks, its ZED not ZEE... call me picky, but that's just what the English school system requires! There are lots of entertaining games on here, but I would question the true educational value. Haven't seen much so far, but I haven't purchased a full range of games/ apps etc yet either. The ones we have are enjoyed by our 4 year old and he will play quite contentedly, but they are more about chasing balls/ dinosaurs footprints or drawing mickey mouse...

Definitely need to be more review sites for the apps available as I have been unable to find any comprehensive guide to help me choose suitable app/cartridges for him. Also quite shocked to find that some of them are soooooo expensive. Read in another review that the ultra e books are a good buy, and they look interesting but at £20 a pop, its incredibly expensive! I have found that cartridges seems to be cheaper than downloads, so worth checking online before committing yourself. I paid £68 for the leappad on Amazon (cheapest around at the time) but i can see it retails at £72 - £90 so it becomes REALLY expensive very quickly.

If you purchase one of these, you must get the skin or protective case. I got the green skin but this doesn't protect the front and somehow the silver is already scratched off the front cursor button (within first 2 days), so I wish I'd got the full case now. Also, headphones! The constant twangy voiceovers may drive you mad in the car or a restaurant, so I would recommend headphones if you value your sanity!

I'm glad I got this as it stops my 4 year old wanting to use (and subsequently drop) the iPad but I am very disappointed with the cost of apps. As mentioned by other reviewers, I purchased the app card for £9.99 (RRP£15) and leapfrog had 'buy 3 get one free' on the apps when we first logged on so that was one way to save money. I have just seen that offer is still on, so I have ordered another app card as you save a fiver at least. Apps vary from £3.50 to £20 it seems. However, how much I will actually purchase is debatable. I wanted this specifically to help my son with phonics (he has the leappad phonics letterbox which is UK English pronunciation and brilliant) and reading/ writing skills but if all the apps are american, it can't be a truly educational product for the rest of us. Sort it out Leappad! You've managed it with your other products, why not this?? (And I would gladly be proven wrong if someone is able to tell me where to find UK English downloads - thanks!)
on 21 March 2013
I bought this at Christmas for my son. It was an immediate hit, eventhough my little boy is not the type to spend hours on it at a time, the games are fun and educational, so what more to ask? That they work in more than one country perhaps?!
I bought the Leappad 2 in the UK, we then moved to France and therefore my credit card details are registered in France. This means that I can no longer use my card to buy directly from the apps centre. I then tried to change the country of origin so that I could use my French card but I cannot do this as the Leappad is "British"! I cannot buy download cards in France as then are not compatible with the Leappad (euros v £) so the only solution I have is to buy download cards in the UK from Amazon and then get charged to have them sent to France... Yes, we do move around in Europe it would be nice to be able to move with the Leappad. And the after sales service is... not great. Shame as this is a great product.
on 7 January 2013
Bought this as a Christmas Present for my 5 year old boy. It was very easy and quick to set up via my iMac. My 5 year old got the hang of the games very quickly indeed and played for hours with his 3 year old brother watching and begging for a turn. Now both boys play with it every day for hours. It is the first thing ever to keep them quiet for long periods of time. Amazing. My son has also uses the device for letter writing practice. I bought a Fairytale Reading App as I wanted something specifically to help with reading practice which arrived today. This was easy to install (literally just put the chip into the device) and the both boys spent all day on it. Planning to buy a few more apps over the coming months. Expect to be buying another one soon so they can have one each. It would be great for long car journeys. I read previous reviews about short battery life so plus mine in with an adaptor which I also bought from Amazon.
on 2 August 2013
The item arrived on time. The kids have had them a while now, we got them for a really good price here at amazon, they still are not cheap. The downloads and cartridges are not cheap either. It's a good way for the kids to play and not know that they are learning at the same time. The leappad website is a little hard to navigate but you can download from the leappad your child's learning path giving you a snapshot of their strengths and weaknesses, you can then help them to improve where necessary. Overall a good learning tool among other tools. I would recommend you get rechargeable battery's, plug in power cable for home use and in car power cable.
on 26 December 2013
I bought this for my 4 year old for Christmas as his sister was fed up of him using her ipad. I wondered as he is so used to the ipad / iphone etc that this would be babyish for him but he loves it! I liked the educational aspect of it, whereby he can play games and learn at the same time and this is exactly what he does. It was easy to connect to the LeapFrog store and register and very easy to download extra games - although you do have to pay. I bought some cheaper ones for £3.50 initially and he loves them! The only downside is that once the batteries run out I am unsure whether we can run it via the charger from the mains - we have only had it one day and not got round to figure that out!