on 22 June 2011
My nearly 4 year old son loves this game, you have the story mode, mini-games and an art bit where you can make pictures, you unlock more things for the art bit by playing through the story. This particular explorer games is focused on letters and vocabulary, it'll ask him multiple-choice which letter is the lower-case J or which letter is missing in the word br sh (with a picture of a brush), one mini-game has rapunzel wandering in the forest and he has to drag down the word to do with the picture, for example put the word 'dog' next to the dog. I can see that it is helping his vocabulary and letter recognition an awful lot and he will happily play it for as long as I will let him! We also have the penguins game and Mr pencil but he far prefers to play this one.
on 9 April 2011
My daughter loves this game (nearly 4yrs old). She can play through on her own, but often likes to hand it over and asks me to do parts with her.
The game follows the plot of the film, with pretty and bright drawing and animations in keeping with the film. The story mode lasted her a couple of hours on the first play through, and after that she can jump to her favourite games.
The games are educational in that she has to recognise letters shapes or work out what letter a word starts with etc.
In addition, there is a drawing mode, with many stamps of characters and fireworks and lanterns and my daughter loves being able to make scenes from the film.
10/10
on 5 May 2011
I bought this for my 4 and a half year old daughter. Although she hadn't seen the film she loved the game. Very educational, helping her lots with her spelling.
on 22 May 2015
My four and a half year old boy enjoyed this. I wondered whether he would go for it because of the princess thematic and also because we haven't yet seen the film. I need not have worried. In fact he enjoyed it a lot.

I wouldn't say it was an absolute favourite but I think there are enough mini-games, and enough variety, to be appealing even for a child who hasn't seen the film.The bit I like about this game is that the reading aspects are nicely done and carefully thought through (as you would expect from leappad) without being exactly of the interactive book variety. That is to say, one can replay the mini-games quite happily, and they stand enough on their own that one can expect a child to come back on a number of occassions. The thing I don't like about the leappad interactive books is that sometimes the narrative is not in itself interesting enough to invite repeated use or even to encourage reading rather than listening to the story.

I still think this looks a bit long in the tooth and a little overpriced but my son undoubtedly enjoyed playing it and I think it has some real value in helping him in the early stages of reading.
on 15 September 2012
I bought this for my 5 year old to keep her entertained on a flight and she loved it. It was easy for her to understand, she didn't need any help from me in playing the game and it had her favourite characters from her favourite Disney film, overall a winner
on 19 October 2011
Bought this for my 4 year old daughter's birthday; she shares it with her older sister who is 5 1/2 years old. It keeps both of them entertained and as with most of the leapfrog games, it provides them with interesting educational activities.
on 6 May 2015
I bought this for my 4 year old son (that's right, a boy wanted a rapunzel game!) after months of whingeing following him seeing the film.

I'm not impressed really. It's ok, it's more of an ebook than a game though. The couple of little activities it does come with are pretty lame to be honest and are completed very quickly! There's a painting activity that you seem to always get led onto, but it's annoying for him because it doesn't let you use the LeapPad stylus as brush strokes. You tap the page once and it fills the entire screen with the one colour. He hates that!

Not happy that there's locked content on it either and you have to go on the leapfrog website to spend even more money unlocking these features. For the price you're paying for the console game, it should come with ALL available features. It's been played with only a few times before it found itself dumped at the bottom of his games box!
on 26 September 2011
Our four year old has greatly enjoyed this game. It does appear to be educational however I do worry slightly that it may be confusing her for when she stars school as when the narrator talks about letters she/he says A,B,C and not the sounds a, b, c.
on 3 February 2013
We got this for our daughter's fifth birthday. She's had it nearly a week and played with it every day.

Game-play is age appropriate; she finds it easy to control and enjoys the story mode, the games and the art section.

There are lots of fun little things like finding Pasquale and Flynn alongside the spelling games. The games are well-designed to be fun as well as teaching spelling and letter recognition, and the games automatically adjust to be more of a challenge the more they are played so that they don't become too easy.

The story is well-presented and the art section has some really nice touches.

I like the way the games link into the story and use characters and ideas from the film combined with eduational activities.

This wasn't a cheap item but it's worth the money because it's a product that will be used again and again, and has genuine educational value in terms of literacy skills.

Highly recommended.
on 20 June 2014
Bought this as a treat for my five year old when we were going on holidays, to keep her entertained on the flights (and early mornings instead of waking mom & dad!!) and she loves it. It's far more advanced than the other game she had that I got with the Leappad originally (Minnies Boutique??)
She loves Tangled anyway, and this combination of the story book plus games really amuses her. It's educational, she has to pick out words and letters, and figure out puzzles, along with entertainment of colouring in pictures. I saw on the leaflet in the box that there's a way for parents to increase the level of difficulty by logging in on the PC but I haven't done this yet so can't comment on that.