on 18 November 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
After about 30 seconds with this piano I was reaching for the superglue to mute its speakers. There are two volume settings - unpleasantly loud and DEAFENING. I can see no reason why could possibly be a good idea to subject any child (or their parent) to the louder setting. But, superglue in place, it is now just about acceptable.

The twist on the usual piano toy is that every time a key is hit, a little hammer sends a coloured ball up a tube. This movement really grabs the attention of both my 10 month old and 2.11 year old, they both enjoy bashing it. It is a very sturdy toy and feels durable.

There are four settings:

- colour: pressing a key results in the corresponding colour being sung;

- numbers: pressing a key results in the corresponding number being sung;

- instrument: pressing a key selects selects an instrument and then the toy can be played like a keyboard (the least annoying setting);

- song: pressing a key selects a Leapfrog-authored song (ie not traditional songs or nursery rhymes). All the songs are, in my opinion, awful and I'm not looking forward to the day my children work out how to use this setting.

I genuinely think that the first two settings will encourage my youngest to learn his numbers and colours, so there is educational value above and beyond a standard keyboard, and the balls are very attractive to little ones. It is a very good toy - once muted!
on 27 August 2013
When I initially saw this online, I had doubts whether it was suitable for my 1 year old. I subsequently saw it in a departmental store and tried it out. The colourful leaping balls captivated me from the first go! The keys are arranged in scale thus you can play simple tunes like Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, Row Row Row Your Boat etc. I could only recognise one of the prerecorded songs, namely The Entertainer. Bought it from Amazon as soon as I came home as it was cheaper. My 1 year old loves banging on the keys with fingers and feet(!), making the balls leap vertically (and roll horizontally like a pinball machine!), biting it and carrying it around the room. It is sturdy, well made, no sharp corners, good sound/volume - I don't find it particularly loud. Withstood 4 months of play so far. Kept all of us entertained! The only downsides are (1)would have liked the prerecorded songs to have been popular nursery rhymes and (2) keys ought to have been made more similar to a piano with sharps and flats. Having said that, Highly recommended as a starter piano.
on 15 February 2014
It occupies my eight month baby for a long time. However it is very loud even on the low volume setting and keep saying like "press a key to chose a song" which can be districting when the baby is concentrating on other thing. I find it a bit overpowering for young kids curiosity. It is good for entertaining for a while but not for learning music.
on 17 November 2012
I bought this for my 1yr old for Christmas but let my number-mad 3.5yr old have a go with it before putting it away and he's been having a right little giggle to himself. The piano sings the numbers to the normal notes in an octave. I've knocked a star off the rating because in the colours mode the piano sings again and 'brown' isn't very clearly pronounced. For the price it's definitely worth it. I was looking at a fisher price baby grand piano but i'd say this does as much as that for a fraction of the price and storage space and the poppin' balls probably make it more fun than flashing keys because everything flashes these days doesn't it!
VINE VOICEon 21 February 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This toy piano does keep older toddlers amused for a while but the age specification of 12 months plus is perhaps a little ambitious.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This daft little piano has been a big hit with our fifteen-month-old daughter. She has taken to dragging it around with her as she toddles, so that she can play it in any room she likes, like a proper little busker.

She's too young for the numbers and colours teaching to be relevant, but if she's happily banging away at the keys and she starts to associate some things together then it certainly won't do any harm. Hopefully she'll stay as keen on this toy in the future (obviously not too far into the future) as she is now, and it will start to have a little educational benefit too.

Other reviewers have said it is loud. I see their point, it's quite loud in the loudest of the two settings- maybe that's part of the appeal... the volume control (high/low/off) seems to have been designed for adult fingers though, it's not easy for the child to change that setting even though it's a visible button on the top of the piano, so you can be fairly sure if you set it to the quieter mode then it will stay in the quieter mode- and I didn't think that mode was too loud to be honest. It's not super-quiet, admittedly, but it's no louder than the other noise-making toys we've got.

The bouncing balls is a bit of a novelty. It's perhaps a little bit too easy to hit the keys hard enough to make the ball reach the top, but other than that it's a nice appealing cause-and-effect trick that our daughter seems to really enjoy.

You get a choice of different sounds in piano mode- so instead of just getting a piano noise, you can optionally have an organ, or a synthesizer (that was a surprise), or 'silly noises'. Some of these are actually surprisingly good, and the fact you can play multiple notes at the same time is good too. All you'd need are the black keys and you'd almost have a proper keyboard!

It's well built, not too heavy, and although it looks quite garish in Amazon's photos it's not that unpleasant to look at in real life.

I was very impressed with this and it definitely gets our daughter's sticky fingers of approval.
on 8 December 2013
This was the 2nd time ihave bought this item as the first one has malfunction electronically but my wee boy likes playing with it with sounds so I have to buy another one but the same story the electronics is not as sturdy as its body.
on 28 November 2013
I don't feel able to give this a 5 star rating as I have not seen the child playing with it yet, I have had a play with it! I thought it was very good & rewarding Yes I agree with some of the reviews it's noisy. But get real noise is FUN when your'e a child, It is quieter on the lower setting. I think she will have great fun with this toy which is my reason for buying it.
on 4 April 2013
I personally think there could have been more to this than what there is, but all in all it's a good toy. When you hit the piano buttons the little coloured balls pop up slightly, this is intriguing for a child so they instantly become interested in this. It sings out the colours when you are on the colour mode which can be irritating but hey, it's teaching your child from a young age colours etc so I can't complain about that.
on 17 October 2013
This is brilliant my daughter loves it, it Is for her for christmas but when I was unboxing it it caught her eye I tried it out and it really caught her attention she is 5 months old and 7 months at christmas I know this is a lot earlier than it says but I thought why not because I can sit and play with it with her. It has different options for songs, colours and numbers it is great with lots of songs I would definitely recommend this