on 1 December 2013
I got this toy when it was on sale for £10 for my one year old little girl. The balls are great, a perfect size for her to pick up and drop in his hat or his foot. However, it is easily knocked over and when placed on carpet seems to easily sense the wrong shoe as being lifted and then says the wrong thing.

It is also slightly creepy as if you forget to switch it off after a period of play, ours starts talking to itself. I don't know if this is a one-off fault but it is a very strange experience on a quiet evening after baby is in bed for it to suddently shout out a colour or a number.

The balls are now being used for other purposes and the octopus has been retired. Not a great purchase but not bad at the price I paid. Would have been very upset had I paid full price for it.
on 23 May 2012
Not great. Toy is very lightweight and fell over easily and my 16 month old daughter lost interest in the game very quickly as it's not exactly challenging. Suitable for much younger children than recommended I think.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This octopus is a big hit with our daughter. She's at the stage where she loves putting things in boxes and taking them out again, so the idea of a little 'can you find the ball?' game has an enduring appeal which she's very happy with. It's bold and colourful and unique-looking and she keeps going back to it.

It's quite clever how the machine 'knows' which of the shoes has got balls under it, and whether there are multiple balls involved (saying "you found it" or "you found a ball" depending on how many balls are hidden). Over Christmas we even had a couple of adults briefly hooked on the compulsive game of random chance...

A few minor quibbles though. Compared to other toys, including other Leapfrog toys, it is a rather flimsy build. It depends on being on a totally flat surface, and gets badly confused and starts stuttering either when not laid flat or when picked up by an eager child- it's very light, so easy to carry round. A wider variety of songs would've also been nice.

Personally I think it's a tiny bit confusing that the five balls have the same five colours as the five shoes, but there's no connection between the ball colour and which shoe it will appear under (as far as I've been able to tell). Also, shouldn't an eight-tentacled octopus need eight shoes, rather than five..? Neither of these problems seem to bother my daughter though.

These are minor quibbles with an otherwise great little toy that definitely gets my daughter's hand-slap of approval.
on 23 March 2014
When I first got this item I was dissapointed the balls don't fire upwards like some similar toys but my little one loved it anyway and still loves it at 18months. It was great for developing his motor skills-putting the balls in the holes and it will be good when he is a little older and ready to learn numbers and colours.
on 6 October 2016
This is a Christmas present for my daughter, opened it and set it up to make sure it worked before wrapping it up,everything perfect and she'll love this, super fast delivery too,arrived on a Sunday which i didn't expect 2 days after order.
VINE VOICEon 27 December 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is something so simple yet seems to give my 10 month old a fair bit of entertainment. I don't think she has quite grasped the concept of lifting the feet up just yet though! She drops the ball in and hears it move around but then looks up at me as if to say "where has it gone"! When I lift the foot up and the ball rolls out, she picks it up and tries again. She has only had this since Christmas Day so I'm sure it won't take her long to get used to it.

I've read the other reviews and notice comments about how sturdy it is. I have to say I agree to some extent. My child is a little too young to be able to push it over but I can see that in a couple of months when here strength builds, it is likely to end up on its side.

To get the best out of this you need to start your child at a fairly young age, I can see that the toppling issue might become a problem as my little grows. But for now, this is a great toy.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 21 February 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a great idea for a toy but unfortunately it is let down by one very basic design flaw, and that is instability. Every time my toddler plays with it, it just topples over backwards because the base isn't wide enough to support it. If the mysteriously small eighth arm wasn't just a minor bump on the back and was the size of one of the other arms this toy would be perfectly stable and the problem would be solved. Apart from this annoying flaw the toy is good fun and a hit with my little lad.
VINE VOICEon 30 December 2012
I'm a bit disappointed with how my son has taken to this toy, I thought he would love it but he struggled at first with the concept and perhaps this is due to him being right at the start of the age range (9 months).......The first few times he simply barged into the toy knocking it over thus revealing the ball all in one rather violent action!

However, he enjoys watching us play the game with him and seems interested in the coloured balls and the songs/music......However he tends to lose interest quite quickly.

I've not given it more than three stars due to a few specific problems :

- it is very easy to knock over and generally not very sturdy

- our wooden floors are uneven which seems to send this toy a bit crazy.....mixing up which feet are which and coming out with random statements out of sync

- as mentioned, my son didn't really grasp the concept of searching for the ball, perhaps he's a bit young, however the ball makes quite a distinctive clunk when it lands in one of the shoes, which makes the shoe in question visibly wobble......I would think there is therefore a limited lifespan for this toy as older kids in imagine would find it a bit simple...If we were playing poker you'd say it had quite a distinctive 'tell'

So overall I'm a bit disappointed. My son is pretty good at picking things up but does not seem too interested in this toy, it hasn't really engaged him.

Kids differ though and so I would say don't necessarily let me put you off......it is well made (keep it on a flat surface!) and has nice songs to learn colours and counting to.

********************updated *************************
He now really likes it! Typical! I've upped it to four stars accordingly!
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I got the Peek a Shoe for my niece who's just under a year old, and she loves it. It's quite large (perhaps a foot across), and, as the name suggests, is a giant octopus with coloured boots at the bottom. The child puts balls in at the top, and they roll through to the shoes at the bottom, the child having to work out which shoe the ball is under based on colour and/or number - thus helping teach number recognition.

My niece loves it, and plays with it every time she comes round; my only small quibble, and the reason why I've given it four stars rather than five, is that her hands are so small that she finds it tricky sometimes to lift up the shoes to collect the ball. I'm sure this will sort itself out as she gets a bit bigger.

It also plays a variety of catchy octopus based tunes which you'll find yourself singing when you least expect it - so expect a few funny looks! All in all though a great toy, well built, and fantastic fun for a toddler.
on 4 January 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My daughter is 16 months old so is just learning colours and consequences. This is actually perfect for that. It tells you (repeatedly) which colour you have picked. It is very engaging and my little one will sit for ages putting the ball in the top and trying to work out which colour foot the ball is under, she loves it. It is also a game we can play with her so a big thumbs up in those areas.

The 4 star because... Although really good, the major flaw on this is the feet. Each one has a sensor on it so that when you lift it the voice can say which colour etc. Unfortunately, these are ultra sensitive, so when it is on carpet, it has an absolute hissy fit and cannot fathom what on earth is going on. Great if you live in a house with wood/laminate floors, not so great if you have carpets as you would need to put it on a very flat surface.

If it weren't for that, I would have given it 5 stars!

See one answered question