- Also check our best rated Biography reviews
Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead Hardcover – 12 Mar. 2013
|New from||Used from|
More items to explore
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
- Hardcover : 240 pages
- ISBN-10 : 0753541629
- ISBN-13 : 978-0753541623
- Dimensions : 14.3 x 2.1 x 22.2 cm
- Publisher : WH Allen (12 Mar. 2013)
- Language: : English
- Best Sellers Rank: 177,913 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- Customer reviews:
"Sheryl provides practical suggestions for managing and overcoming the challenges that arise on the “jungle gym” of career advancement. I nodded my head in agreement and laughed out loud as I read these pages. Lean In is a superb, witty, candid, and meaningful read for women (and men) of all generations" (Condoleezza Rice, Former U.S. Secretary of State)
"Sheryl Sandberg brilliantly explains how she believes women must put themselves forward if the gender gap is ever to be closed – I agree, but I would add women should not only lean in, but also stand up and cheer." (Martha Lane Fox)
"Eleanor Roosevelt once said, ‘No one can make you feel inferior without your permission.’ With stories from her own life and data carefully researched, Sheryl Sandberg reminds women that they have to believe in themselves and reach for opportunities. More women than men may need that advice, but I'd bet that both genders would profit from this very well-done book" (Marjorie Scardino, Former CEO, Pearson PLC)
"For the past five years, I've sat at a desk next to Sheryl and I've learned something from her almost every day. She has a remarkable intelligence that can cut through complex processes and find solutions to the hardest problems. Lean In combines Sheryl's ability to synthesize information with her understanding of how to get the best out of people. The book is smart and honest and funny. Her words will help all readers―especially men―to become better and more effective leaders" (Mark Zuckerberg, Founder and CEO, Facebook)
Customers who read this book have also read
Top reviews from United Kingdom
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
There were many unnecessary details and stories which were more than half the book.
Key tips: 'sit at the table' (ie put yourself forward and don't hold yourself back - 'what would you do if you were not afraid?"); be aware of gender stereotyping and explain why you are going to negotiate before you do negotiate - but don't fail to negotiate (men negotiate naturally and it is expected of them); 'make your partner a real partner' (and, for example, don't go in for gatekeeper behaviour at home and ask him to step aside and let you do it when he's making a mess of things - let him do it himself and learn); generally in finding a job look at the growth potential of the company (as the author did with Google) and think what you can offer an employer that the employer actually wants/needs; and on living your life understand that time is a scarce resource and you can't have or do it all - the whole essence of the thing is trade-offs and decisions.
So, there's a lot of interest here; and the book gives every appearance of being well researched as well as full of personal material. The author tells us in the afterward that she has a co-writer; and that even so writing the book has taken out of the time she spends with her husband. This also has the ring of truth - but it does to some extent underscore the idea that the author is something of an exceptional human being.
I would recommend cross-checking her thinking against the recent book The XX Factor by Alison Wolf. That carefully explains that there are three life styles for women today - one fot the top 1%, another for the remainder of the top 20%, and a third for the other 80%. Sandberg is definitely part of the top 1% in that grouping. So perhaps her thinking is not entirely for everyone....