- Audio CD (31 Aug. 2009)
- Number of Discs: 1
- Format: CD
- Label: Ace UK
- ASIN: B0029F50KO
- Other Editions: Audio CD
- Average Customer Review: 4.0 out of 5 stars See all reviews (3 customer reviews)
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 139,995 in CDs & Vinyl (See Top 100 in CDs & Vinyl)
Other Sellers on Amazon
The Laurie Records Story, Vol. 3: Girls and Girls Groups CD
|Price:||£9.84 & FREE UK Delivery on orders dispatched by Amazon over £20. Delivery Details|
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
* Hands up all who remember Ace Records' Impact logo. It was back in the pre-CD era that they launched Impact with the album "Stop, Look & Listen", an all-female 16-tracker drawn from the catalogue of Laurie Records and its off-shoot Rust. 24 years having gone by since then, Ace have figured a CD version of that much-discussed LP was long overdue. The revamped result is a must-have for girl group fans and Laurie collectors alike.
* Taking great care not to duplicate titles that are available elsewhere on Ace, the title song is one of a handful of inclusions by top girl group the Chiffons, queens of the doo-lang. Cult favourites the Del-Rons (sic) are represented with their debut single, while their lead singer Reparata offers up her solo contribution to the death disc genre. In-demand session singer Bernadette Carroll should have been a star. Hear her two tracks to understand why.
* Ace has a long-standing connection with Laurie and over the years they have become the one-stop shop for 2-on-1s by Dion (with and without the Belmonts) and other collections of Laurie recordings. Ace also lead the way in girl group compilations, thanks to the "Where The Girls Are" series and the like: "Stop, Look & Listen" is where these two worlds collide...
Top customer reviews
So the flops are more interesting and there should have been more
Only about 3 of these songs gained U K release in the days you never knew they existed but only if you had access to Billboard or Cashbox
Most helpful customer reviews on Amazon.com
Many of the sides presented may not have become nationally-charting singles in the U.S. but that does not take away from the fact most, if not all, are highly sought after by those collectors who focus on things like Doo-Wop and the Girl-Group Sound. It also has to be kept in mind that those which emerged in 1964/65 had to face the British Invasion led by The Beatles and Rolling Stones who collectively shoved aside all but the very best - and most heavily promoted - North American artists when it came to the upper regions of the lucrative Billboard Pop Top/Hot 100. Some were also legitimate One-Hit Wonders (i.e., only one nationally-charting song) and these are indicated by an asterisk (*) below, while others, such as Beverly Warren and The Charmers, never even enjoyed that status. There is one repeat here from Volume 1 - My Block.
The tracks in this Volume 3 and their details are:
1. Stop, Look And Listen - The Chiffons - # 85 Hot 100 Oct 1965 - Laurie 3357;
2. Let Me Get Close To You - Beverly Warren - Rust 5098 - did not chart in 1965
3. I'm Afraid They're All Talking About Me - Dawn - Laurie 3388 - did not chart in 1967;
4. Shy Guy - The Charmers - Laurie 3173 - did not chart in 1963;
5. My Block - The Four Pennies (really The Chiffons) - # 67 Hot 100 I June 1963 - Rust 5071;
6. Hanky Panky - The Summits - Rust 5072 - did not chart in 1964;
7. If I Knew Then (What I Know Now) - The Chiffons - Laurie 3377 - did not chart in 1967;
8. Sandy - Dawn - Laurie 3417 - did not chart in 1968;
9. Heading For A Heartbreak - The Cheese Cakes - Laurie 3336 - did not chart in 1966
10. Love Me Like You're Gonna Lose Me - The Chiffons - Laurie 3497 - did not chart in 1969;
11. He's Just A Playboy - *Bernadette Carroll - Laurie 3320 - did not chart in 1965;
12. Don't Lean On Me - Corinna Cord - Laurie 3362 - did not chart in 1966;
13. Keep The Boy Happy - The Chiffons - B-side of track 7;
14. He's My Dreamboy - Marie Antoinette (real nae Alice Faye Henderson) - never previously released;
15. He's An Angel - The Summits - Rust 5072 - did not chart in 1964;
16. How Can I Be Sure (That It's Love?) - Gloria Dennis - Laurie 3300 - did not chart in 1965;
17. Sweet Talk - The Charmers - Laurie 3203 - did not chart in 1963;
18. I Still Love You - Les Girls - Laurie 3368 - did not chart in 1966;
19. Your Big Mistake - The Del-Rons - Laurie 3252 - did not chart in 1964;
20. He's Mine - Linda & The Lindettes - not issued in the U.S. - a U.K. release only;
21. Whenever A Teenager Cries - The Jeans - Laurie 3694 - did not chart - 1979;
22. Nothing Went Right - Lorrie Darnell - Laurie 3193 - did not chart in 1963;
23. Circus Girl - *Bernadette Carroll - Laurie 3311 - did not chart in 1965;
24. Your Life Is Gone - Reparata - Laurie 3589 - did not chart in 1972.