The Laughter of Sarah: Biblical Exegesis, Feminist Theory, and the Concept of Delight (Palgrave Pivot) Hardcover – 10 Sep 2013
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
"This is an ingeniously conceived study of a peculiar and peculiarly important phenomenon: the laughter of sheer delight. Conybeare once again shows us the benefits of being able to blend a classicist's discipline of reading with an unfettered philosophical imagination." - James Wetzel, Professor of Philosophy, Villanova University, US
"The Laughter of Sarah is a beautifully written, elegantly conceptualized, and wide ranging meditation on what Conybeare dubs "the laughter of delight." Deftly navigating the thought worlds of theorists both ancient and modern, religious and secular, Conybeare shows us a side of laughter that is often neglected - laughter that is joyous, embodied, eruptive, radically open, and thereby also deeply subversive of reigning assumptions about what it means to know, to be, to live, to love." - Virginia Burrus, Professor, Drew University, USA
About the Author
Catherine Conybeare is Professor of Classics, Department of Greek, Latin, and Classical Studies, Bryn Mawr College, USA. She also serves as Director of the Graduate Group in Archaeology, Classics, and History of Art. Her previous publications include Paulinus Noster (Oxford 2000) and The Irrational Augustine (Oxford 2006); she is now working on a book about Carthage as place and symbol in Western imperialism.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > History > Ancient History & Civilisation
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Early British & Roman Britain
- Books > History > Europe > Pre-500
- Books > History > Religious History > Christianity
- Books > History > World History > Pre-500
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Bible > Bible Studies > Old Testament > Commentaries
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Bible > Bible Studies > Old Testament > Criticism & Interpretation
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Christianity > Church History
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Judaism > Sacred Writings > Hebrew Bible (Old Testament)
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Religious Studies > History
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Philosophy