on 2 October 2011
I have enjoyed most of Sophie Hannah's books before now but really can't see what there is to like about this book. Having read the blurb and various ace reviews, I was beginning to think it was me losing the plot until I read some of the other reviews on here. Like other reviewers, I found the whole thing boring. The basic idea grabbed me and I thought it was an unusual and intriguing plot to start with, but the endless tedious conversations between various characters turned it into a dull book. Not only was the plot hard to keep hold of at various times, but the characters were annoying too. The interplay between Simon and Charlie is unlikely and tedious, and the relationship between Olivia and Gibbs is pointless. The most annoying feature of all, for me though, was the repetitive self-analysing and 'stream of consciousness' type rambling of the characters (especially Connie and Charlie) and voicing of their thoughts on everything. This meant a simple conversation or explanation would drag on for pages while the character analysed their understanding of what they'd just heard/said/seen. And the plot about the houses and no. 11/12 and 17/18 became ridiculous and confusing. By the last chapters of the book, I realised I didn't care what the outcome was as I didn't care about any of the characters. I just wanted it finished.
on 25 September 2013
I have never before read such an utter pile of rubbish. The plot is so absolutely ridiculous that I cannot believe it got published, never mind some actual good reviews.
As most other people state, the initial idea is quite good and intriguing - who is the woman in the pool of blood? Why is the image not there when Connie's husband views the video? But the author clearly had no idea how to progress the story beyond this initial concept and went so far in the the unbelievable that it ended up as complete tripe.
**SPOILER ALERT**
I am still at a loss as to why this was put up on the website at 1am when Connie couldn't sleep? How on earth could Jackie know that she would be awake at this time, are we to believe that Kit texted her to put it up on the website when he couldn't have any secure idea of when Connie would go downstairs, and Jackie was to be waiting on the other end of the phone to upload a video and take it down again a few minutes later?!! The back and forth between 17/18 Pardner Lane and 11/12 Bentley Grove was nonsensical.
Never again will I pick up a book by this author as it was a complete waste of my time and patience.
on 10 August 2011
After all the hype this book received I was all ready to settle down for a darn good read. Initial plot line very different and exciting and I genuinely thought it would go somewhere. However, it dragged and dragged with silly sub-plots, characters irritated me and towards the end I didn't really care what happened as I couldn't help thinking it was going to be a stupid ending anyway - which it was. Very disappointed.
on 21 March 2011
I strongly disagree with the reviewer who suggested this was a good book to begin reading Ms Hannah's work. If this had been my first book by the author I may not have continued reading due to the frequent references to her other work. I quite like background material on the main characters but this lot are certainly very complicated in comparison to Wexford, Lynley, or Dalglish.The plot was not really beleivable and the dialogue in places was cringe making.
I would still recommend the authors earlier books , the first three were very enjoyable. However I would caution some-one new to this author not to begin with this book.
on 28 June 2011
I have only persevered with this because it was my first Kindle book & I wanted to practise finding my way round. I am 94% of the way through & no longer care how this silly story will end. I've only read 1 other title from this series (mothers imprisoned for murdering their babies, when infact they were cot deaths)& it was awful too. However, I chose this on the strenghth of hearing Sophie interviewed on Radio 4 & thought the idea was terrific.
Like others, I couldn't find a character who I really cared about or believed in, there was no chemistry & they all felt phoney. The coppers lacked personality, warmthth or wit & were indistinguishable from one another & the Spanish honeymoon cut short added nothing to the story, there was just too much padding eg the sexual fling between the witnesses at the wedding. The dialogue between Connie's parents & especially Kit's (with Simon) was excrutiating - there was just too much cod psychological mumbo jumbo, if it had been better written it might have been plausible, but I struggled to follow the convoluted tale of keys and a house called 17 Pardoner Lane, 18 Pardoner Lane??? That was Kit's idea of a joke! Just in case we hadn't followed events, Charlie & Simon's conversation in chapter 26 explains all, I don't think a well written thriller should rely on this method to pull things together.
on 3 April 2011
I have read and enjoyed Sophie Hannah's other books in this series, and after reading the pre-publication blurb about this one, I was very much looking forward to this one also. The plot sounded most intriguing.

It starts off well, a promising sign for the rest of the book, I hoped. I didn't know where this story was going to take me, but I sat back and went along for the ride. But the ride was like taking a coach trip from A to B, but the driver getting lost and having to go via C to Z to get there.

As the story goes along, the plot begins to get more bizarre and rather complicated. So many characters enter the story I had to go back once or twice to work out who was who and how they fitted into things.

The ending, when we eventually get there, is all a little disappointing and just a bit too far-fatched for my liking. I know it's fiction, but even so, the way it all ends and the explanations behind the whole story just push the bounds of credulity a little too far.

Having said that, although it is nonsense, it is entertaining nonsense and this together with the fact I liked the author's previous books means this one gets a 3 star rating from me. If you also liked her other books, then give this a go but don't expect the same quality as the earlier books. And if you are new to this author, I wouldn't recommend starting with this one.
VINE VOICEon 17 March 2011
Having stood in front of a large publicity poster for this book at my tube station for a couple of days, I was intrigued and despite having started a few Sophie Hannah books in my time and never finishing them, I decided to give it a go.

Had the story been kept to the Bowskills, I probably would have found it a bearable book. However, the large parts of the story given over to the newlywed police officers drove me insane! I have gathered that they are regular characters in these books so without knowing their background, maybe I am being a bit unfair, but the bride is so neurotic and insecure that you just have no empathy with her. The groom, some policing genius by all accounts, cuts the honeymoon short to deal with work?!

I found that there was no character you could really sympathise with, all the women in this book are snivelling, whiney victims and I just didn't like any of them. I found large parts of the story were repeated, one character would have a discusssion with another and then relay it, in full to a different character for which I found there was no need. It is tedious, over long and boring for the most part.
on 19 July 2011
I'm loath to give this book 1 star. I enjoyed The Point of Rescue and cannot understand how this one slipped through the net. The concept is great - but that is all there is. There are feeble ways of trying to get the book to hang together and the dialogue is repetitive, the themes and content are repetitive - it's as though the author is trying to bang home an idea that just doesn't work - and is so desperately DULL. The settings are dreary and unimaginative, there is no pace, the characters are flat and indistinguishable, the extra 'plot' lines are superfluous and the central character engenders little sympathy. Enough said!
on 25 May 2011
Loved all the previous books and was really looking forward to the new one but this was terrible. The story is too farfetched and the main character is very annoying. Too many parts of the story are repeated in different characters conversations. I couldn't wait to finish it for all the wrong reasons. Read her other books and give this a miss.
on 14 March 2012
I was hooked by the openinbg chapter of this book but frankly, got completely lost in the very far-fetched plot with rather too many charecters. Was glad to finish it and wondered what it had actually been about, could not see the logic in it.