on 16 January 2013
This is the first book in a series, following the exploits of an ex Knight Templar and a Stannary Bailiff from Devon. A superb introduction to the history of the Medieval Age. Written with a simplicity that will belie the amount of knowledge and information imparted by the author Michael Jecks. With great sensitivity a particularly shameful act in history is brought to light in a straightforward way that enables the reader to understand the history as well as be entertained by the story. An ability to impart knowledge and teach whilst entertaining is rare. Stick with the story as it on occasion rambles a little, you will be rewarded, a twist and surprise will raise a few eyebrows. The detail is superb and can be verified with the help of the author himself, providing details of some of the books used for his research. This as I mentioned is the first in a series and as will all things in life, the stories improve and get better with time. I was gripped from the beginning and I'm still going, dive in you won't regret!
33 comments| 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
For those who have not read Michael Jecks, but like historical novels, particularly about medieval England, you are in for all real treat. I have read some of the other comments from reviewers and I am not sure what they are getting at. Mr. Jecks writes a good entertaining tale. I am sure he did not set out to write a classic, just a book that is a good read with a good plot.

In actual fact his books are very well researched and it would be churlish to criticise what was in fact his first novel when he was trying to put flesh on the bones of his leading characters and hone his writing style. This books is the start of the extremely popular Knights Templar Mysteries.

1314 and an ill-advised Pope and also the King of France are doing everything in their power to destroy the powerful Knights Templars, sacking their headquarters in Paris and burning the leading officials of the movement for heresy.

Sir Baldwin de Furnshill, a Templar, escapes and makes his way across the channel. His brother in England has died and the estate now belongs to Simon. He is careful to keep his past history secret but he has watched some of his friends die for no reason other than the whim of a Pope and he is determined to do anything and everything in his power to reap vengeance on their accusers.
VINE VOICEon 10 July 2013
I like medieval murder mysteries. I'm a fan of the writings of Susanna Gregory, Bernard Knight and the 'Medieval murderers', where I first came across Michael Jeck's characters of Bailiff Simon Puttock and his Knight friend, Baldwin De Furnshill. Those stories encouraged me to go back to the beginning and read the full novel of how the two came together. Having read the Last Templar, I am very impressed. The characters are very well written and the story line is steeped in Medieval history. The book description at the top of the page gives a general introduction, but the writing draws you into the period and you can identify with the people of the time, their lives and hardships, with the posse as they track the bandits, feeling the tension and nervousness as they mount their attack. Great writing.
I recommend this to fans of the Medieval period and those maybe not yet familiar with it. Already got the Merchant's partner, number two in the series, with many more books to follow, I think I'm going to have many hours of enjoyable reading to come.
The Last Templar (Knights Templar Mysteries 01)
on 28 January 2013
So enjoyed this book great introduction to this series of about 20 odd books, characters likeable,the story well wriitten and the history well reasearched. Great for those who like a good old fashioned murder mysterey
on 2 October 2005
This book is a very well constructed murder mystery with plenty of twists and brilliant characters who continue to develop throughout the story. It is more about the life of a knight (sir Baldwin) after the destruction of his order rather than the crusades, but is well worth reading. It is clearly well researched without boring the reader with facts. I strongly recomend it to anyone who likes historical novels and/or mysteries.
on 29 July 2010
I had finished reading The Bishop Must Die when I realized that there were quite a few books ahead of it (27 to be exact). So I propley went to my local library and checked out The Last Templar. I was not disappionted by it.

First off, the plot was more mysterious than it had been in The Bishop Must Die. I'm not going to spoil the book, but it was very wickedly twisted in the end. I guess that is Michael Jecks's gift: to write his books with suspense and in the end give you a sucker punch.

Anyway, I enjoyed the book, though I do see here it hasn't recieved much of a good press. But I thought of the book as the embodiment of what a good medieval mystery novel should be.
on 16 July 2011
This is the first in a series of excellent in-depth novels which evoke the loneliness of the West Country in Medieval times. The harshness of the conditions, yet the wonder of a world but half-understood by people who lived their short lives out in constant fear, is alleviated by the warmth of the friendship with matures between Bailiff Simon Puttock and Sir Baldwin de Furnshill. Well-researched, cleverly plotted, the pace is good and the characters believable. I thoroughly recommend any of these books - I have 12-14 from this series.
on 24 November 2014
This is a book that I’ve just re-read after finding a dog-eared copy hiding in my loft. I’ve read a few of this series, and each one I have enjoyed just as much as this.

The Last Templar introduces us to Simon Puttock and Sir Baldwin de Furnshill, the two main protagonists throughout the series. Puttock is called in, as bailiff, to investigate the death of a local man and he meets the new Lord who has just returned from years abroad. A friendship, albeit tentatively, begins; but elements emerge that puts Puttock’s friendship with Baldwin into question.

I’m a big lover of historical novels, and this one didn’t disappoint. The medieval era is perfectly depicted through the narrative, the obvious research into the time apparent from the very beginning. There is an easy rhythm to the writing which compels you to turn the page, although the pace slows occasionally, it quickly picks up again.

Fans of Bernard Cornwell, Simon Scarrow, Bernard Knight, Karen Maitland, C J Sansom and the like will find that this series sits nicely on the shelf along with them, and I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend.
on 10 August 2013
This book had a great prologue which caught my imagination
and great characters and a real sense of place and time, I felt it got a bit stuck in the mud in the middle and I had to persevere to get to the end, however it was well worth the effort and I will read more by this author.
on 8 February 2013
An unexpected treat. After having read the rest of the series some time ago, it was a pleasant surprise to come across the very first book. Wasn't at all spoiled by having read the sequels - indeed, it 'rounded off' the series very pleasantly. I read just about any book by this excellent author - as good as Scarrow or Cornwell! YES, THAT GOOD!