- Paperback: 304 pages
- Publisher: Phoenix (2 April 2009)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0753825759
- ISBN-13: 978-0753825754
- Product Dimensions: 12.8 x 2.1 x 19.8 cm
- Average Customer Review: 4.6 out of 5 stars See all reviews (10 customer reviews)
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 403,867 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
The Last Office: 1539 and the Dissolution of a Monastery Paperback – 2 Apr 2009
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Geoffrey Moorhouse is always a delight to read (INDEPENDENT)
Erudite and highly readable (HUDDERSFIELD DAILY EXAMINER)
His [Moorhouse's] orginal and absorbing study of this period of transition for Durham is a tour de force. (GOOD BOOK GUIDE)
Henry VIII's dissolution of the monasteries, through the never-before-told story of how one priory was saved and become Durham's mighty cathedralSee all Product Description
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
For anyone knowing and loving Durham cathedral and fascinated by this period of history, this is an excellent book.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
A very readable account of life in England at the time of the dissolution of the monasteries especially as its focus is on Durham.Published 13 months ago by Bookworm
I can't quite share the enthusiasm of other reviewers, and not only because as a Catholic I see the events being described as an unmitigated disaster, not only for the individuals... Read morePublished on 22 Feb. 2014 by Richard Ashton
Geoffrey Moorhouse takes the reader into the monastery, revealing the details of everyday life. The centuries old struggle between church & state culminates in the demise of these... Read morePublished on 13 Oct. 2013 by Judy
Look for similar items by category
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Early Modern 1501-1700 (Tudors, Stuarts, Commonwealth, Restoration, Glorious Revolution)
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Ireland
- Books > History > Religious History > Other Religions
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Christianity > Church Institutions & Organizations