Customer reviews

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 16 February 2016
Lisa Wingate is one seriously good writer! This book is beautifully crafted, every word counts and is beautifully chosen and she is brilliant at creating both characters and a sense of place. I was drawn into the story at the first sentence and read steadily to the end, my heart in my mouth at times, and came to the final page with satisfaction and a certain regret that there wasn't any more. The setting is the settlements around a beautiful (though man-made) lake in Texas, some wealthy, some desperately poor, described with realism and deep affection. If you read the dedication, you realise that some of the characters are real people, so I am assuming that this is a real place that Lisa Wingate knows and loves.
I am not a lover of romantic novels and I prefer British writers. American novels can be slick and simpleminded, in my sorry experience. I loved this book and greatly admired its author. This Christian novel is not pious or preachy or naive. It is gritty, realistic and profoundly human and it does duck the hard questions or idealise the church. At the same time, it has profoundly good values. I recommend this book wholeheartedly.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICEon 1 September 2013
I am not really. Huge fan of romance but I liked the look of the blurb on this one so decided to give it a go. Every so often a book will grab you and pull you in and this was very definitely one of those books. Romance books can often be sickly sweet but this one avoids that trap. The characters are real and remain so throughout the book. You get a real sense of the types of people who live deep inside the woods and mountains of Texas, so much so that I could picture them perfectly. I could feel my emotions being pulled every which way as I rooted for each and every one of them. I loved the main characters Andrea, Mart and also the little girl. I cannot say too much about her without giving away the story but needless to say she is as well drawn as the others.

Lisa Wingate has an evocative writing style and paints a perfect picture of the natural beauty of the area. I could hear the call of the birds and feel the wind in my hair as I travelled across the lake by boat. This is a Christian book but the Christian message is subtle and does not overwhelm. It is skilfully weaves I to the story I. Order to support but not take over. This book could be enjoyed by Christians and non Christians alike.

This is the first book I have read by Lisa Wingate but it certainly won't be the last. I only downloaded it this morning and I have been reading it all day. It will not come as a surprise therefore that I highly recommend this book.
on 25 September 2013
As this was a freebie, I didn't expect much other than a time filling read. I was pleasantly surprised with the story and felt the characters were well written and not stereotypical. I would definitely go on to buy the next in the series.
on 21 December 2014