Customer reviews

Lansky Sharpeners The Puck Dual Grit Sharpener - Grey
Package Quantity: 1|Style Name: Sharpener|Change

on 6 July 2017
Nice puck which sharpens pretty much everything.
This is 25% of the price of the "Gransfor-Bruks" unit ..which comes in a hand friendly slicone grippy pocket.

Either use a little water with this as the fluid agent or buy some Tesco non perfumed baby oil as your fluid agent, ..it is thin yet works a treat, but do check the ingredients in case they've changed, (it is mineral oil you want) ...some manufacturers have started using / used palm oil which may clog your stone.

I've just bought a Hultafors-Bruks axe & thought I could use a new pocketable stone ..Lansky are very well known as a brand for outdoors people & horticulturalists, ...basically a good puck from a good manufacturer.

if you are new to sharpening / honing watch a few you-tube videos & reap the benefits
on 9 May 2016
I bought this to compliment the Bahco 1-100-10-1-2 Hand Bastard Cut File 10in (see separate review) when sharpening my axes. As an experiment I dug an old and completely useless fire service axe out of the shed to see if I could restore it. I used the Bahco file to profile the edge then this Lansky puck to hone it. Within half an hour I got this axe from totally blunt to paper-slicing sharp.
The only reason I have not given this puck five stars is because I would have liked it to come with a plastic case to protect it from getting chipped. If it stayed on a tool shelf, this would not be an issue. However, I intend to carry it with me on my bush crafting missions.
This aside, the puck works extremely well, is a fraction of the cost of a Gransfors Bruks puck and I am extremely happy with my purchase.
on 13 July 2017
Great stone, coarse side removes nicks and damage, finer side removes a good amount of material and allows you to put a seriously sharp edge back on any axe.
Use it on my gransfors and fiskars alike. Equally good.
Excellent design which fits beautifullly in the hand and keeps your fingers away whilst you're working all the way to the edge of the blade.
Really happy with it and glad that I chose it over the gransfors stone.
Would highly recommend.
Used dry and with water.
Finish with a leather strop and it's razor sharp again!
Well happy. Cheers lansky
on 12 June 2016
This dual grit axe sharpening stone is a great size for the hand, and once you get used to working with it, it's fantastic at sharpening your axes.

The rough side is very rough, so will not be needed often, the smoother side is great at putting back an extremely sharp working edge, even on a well used head, allowing for much less effort having to be used.
2 people found this helpful
on 6 December 2017
Works well even better with a little thin oil even diesel I brought this for my kindling wood blade and other Forestry tools I am very happy with it it was sent out quick packed well and to my home on time. Thank you.
One person found this helpful
on 17 March 2018
Not as fine as the previous Puck Sharpener - that was stolen from me!
Nevertheless, the circular form allows useful general 'medium' sharpening.
Plus it is a good example of a rare product that has taken a great deal time to find.
on 11 March 2014
Tried using an old wet stone to sharpen a new axe. Never really understood what the phrase "having an axe to grind" meant before ! If you don't get the grinding angle absolutely spot on, and the stone properly lubricated, you will end up with a blunt axe head, sore shoulder and generally frustrated. The Lansky Dual Grit Sharpener takes the strain out of sharpening any axe head (particularly if you use in conjunction with Lansky's honing oil), as the grinding angle can be easily maintained and adjusted if necessary. The dual grit is useful if you are trying to restore a really badly "dinged" or rusted axe head, but the finer grit is all you will need to bring out a razor sharp edge to any new axe head. It is also handy size to keep in my tool bag and not as brittle, fragile or cumbersome to carry around as a wet stone. I have used it to grind brand new axe heads and just to re-condition the axe after use. Wouldn't be without it.
3 people found this helpful
on 10 October 2014
Used to resharpen axes after use. I use sunflower oil from a Tesco spray to remove the gringings (and to protect the axes from moisture when not in use). I grip the puck with finger tips and do not apply pressure. Sharpen in a circular pattern, swapping sides regularly. The course side remives the inevitable dings, and the medium for final sharpening.
2 people found this helpful
on 12 December 2016
Great to have the variety of grit size on both sides - this has faithfully kept my axe sharp through many uses.

My one safety concern is that it might slip off the blade whilst sharpening but that may just be me being overcautious!

Quality product at an affordable price.
on 22 February 2018
Works,followed a couple of YouTube videos and brought a chipped blunt hatchet back to life.
Will now try it on my flymo blade as well.
Delivered quickly and works a treat.