Learn more Shop Women's Shop Men's Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New Album - Noel Gallagher

on 3 November 2017
Brilliant book. Excellent
on 5 August 2014
This book gives insight into the understanding and love of Wales from the perspective of a deeply passionate Welshman.

It took time for me to pick my copy up but as I read the continuity of the narrative spoke volumes as to how the author saw the birth and emerging vision of a proud nation up to the point of requiring political renewal and with its old language at the root of its culture. This book has imbued my sense of "belonging" and has highlighted my level of indebtedness to the author for maintaining the stance that he did.

It is well worth a read.
on 11 January 2017
what a book, being born welsh, just wish this was in the welsh school teaching, every welshman should read this, brilliant
on 19 October 2011
Being a proud Welshman and realising that I knew very little about the history of Wales I looked for a book on that theme. I discovered this one on Amazon. Some books are just written in a way that you cannot put them down and this book is certainly in that category. It seems that I knew even less than I thought. Now I understand the way that we think as a nation and we are truly as our national anthem says a "land of poets and singers"
on 6 October 2017
Excellent book and great delivery, thank you.
on 4 June 2017
Bought for my husband who is going through it slowly but he thinks it's really good.
VINE VOICEon 22 July 2013
Very interesting reading; a history of Wales from the Welsh perspective. Gwynfor Evans tried to get it all into one volume and just about manages it. This is the work of a truly dedicated scholar.

It is also the work of someone with deeply-held nationalist beliefs and that does taint some areas of the book in that you can feel the weight of justification of actions in terms of race which isn't always a comfortable fit.

The endless reiterating of family ties can get confusing, especially when there are no family tree illustrations to help out. Also, it sometimes feels as if the reader is expected to know who all these people are which makes the writing feel somewhat exclusive.

There are also some areas where personal religious views are brought to bear on the narrative of history where they do not belong.

Though there are dates in the margin, they do not always follow a chronological order; one chapter may be followed by another which refers back to previous dates. This gets very confusing.

The content in general is fascinating and this is an important book as a record of the history of a very significant country in British terms as well as its own. It provokes a strong argument for highlighting the study of the history of the other countries that currently constitute Britain on their own terms, instead of being lumped as "part of the nation".

I would suggest it needs quite radical re-editing and expanding in order to clarify the historical chronology and personalities. There are also one or two annoying inconsistencies in spelling.
on 31 August 2016
An informative account of the history of Wales over the past 2000 years at a very reasonable price.
on 15 May 2014
I am only half-way through this and have never been so tempted to give up. The names are difficult. It's hard to work out who was fighting whom and remember why. The author is at his best when showing how an indomitable spirit has preserved the Welsh people. I have just read about Giraldus Cambriensis' literary efforts and how the law was written in Welsh. The author is inspired when he warms to his subject. I will persevere. I feared I would have to skim-read, as you can't digest the personalities and their interactions. I don't mind his anti-English stance, as it gives some interesting flourishes to round off the sections. Maybe his warmth towards this causes him to repeat himself.
on 14 June 2016
What a wonderful comprehensive overview of the Welsh and Welsh history. Got a much greater understanding of the uniqueness of the country I live in and also a different view of English history. Much more enlightening than what I was taught in school many years ago. Feel it has helped me develop a greater overview of the last few thousand years.