Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 26 July 2017
great book.
on 21 October 2012
This adventure is every bit as fast-paced and gripping as the first, with Rhianna and friends seeking out the second of the lights. They'll need all four to revive Arthur and restore Britain.

The quest is again central to the narrative and, although the story is clearly original (with the new invention of Rhianna in particular), there is plenty here that is familiar from Arthurian legend and the courtly tradition. I particularly enjoyed the verses at the start of each chapter, which form a ballad that gives an overview of the story when put together (yes, I did read them as such once I'd finished the novel!). The map and decorated headings also add to the feel of an older book, strengthening the presentation to make this a lovely package. These little hardbacks would make lovely gifts because they feel special and exciting as objects, thanks to these well-considered touches.

I love Rhianna as a character particularly and she is what makes this series special, amongst quests and fantasy adventures for the 9-12 age group. Her absolute refusal to comply with what a lady of Camelot 'ought' to be continues to delight and inspire, and the introduction of new characters enables Katherine Roberts to revisit and underline this point, just as some of the knights from book one are starting to see what Rhianna has to offer and treating her less as 'just' a damsel.

These are many-faceted books with a broad appeal, containing magic, mystery, adventure, danger, friendship, family and a richly-imagined medieval setting. I would definitely recommend the series to both boys and girls of 9+.
on 11 August 2013
This is an amazing piece of literature. I feel that this book is captivating because I enjoy fantasy. I am very particular about what I read and this ticked all the boxes. My favourite character is a squire named Cai who is a big chatterbox and is also very clumsy. My favourite part is when Elphin, the Avalonian Prince fixes the Lance of Truth. I would recommend this novel to anyone who likes fantasy and adventure with a twist.
on 29 July 2014
Better then the first.Discriptive and imaganative.People who have read these books I recommend to the warrior cat books.
Maybe you would like that?
on 14 August 2013
I like the characters, brave, funny, grumpy, stupid, cunning nearly everything. Based on a old legend its absolutely... everything, can't turn it down.
on 12 February 2014
I bought this book for my daughter and she loved it.
It was delivered on time and well packed. I'll by the other 2 books of this collection.
on 10 August 2013
An enchanting book. Captures you with every turn of the page. Truly spellbinding. If you don't read this book then you're mad.

M
on 25 May 2013
My son loved Merlin and finds these books great reads. Got through it very quickly as didn't wat to stop reading
on 12 November 2014
My children love it
on 9 October 2012
I bought this book for my daughter for this christmas. I have read the back and the first two pages and i can say i enjoyed what i read,i didn't want to go any further with the book as i am waiting for the first book Sword of light to be delivered. I think the book will be brilliant and the word's are not really tiny and squashed up. I will update my review to say what i think of both books soon!