on 4 July 2004
This is the most amazing book. My grandfather flew Lancasters in the 2nd World War, and this gave me a real insight into the astonishing things that happened during that time, the risks the crews faced, and the lottery of survival. I cannot recommend it strongly enough, it is thoroughly readable, and manages to tell the story of one crew in a human, touching, yet humorous way.
on 20 August 2014
Jack Currie seems to have been a really “smashing chap”. In Lancaster Target he takes us into the aircraft and invites us into the camaraderie of the crew. The one problem I have with this book is the lack of dread and terror these men must have experienced night after night and especially in the Berlin raids. I have read many books about Bomber Command and the crews of heavy bombers such as “Men of Air” by Kevin Wilson which I am reading now. I found this book too “sanitised”. The crew seem to have a charmed life after the first raid when the weather nearly destroyed them all. They seemed to avoid so much flak and the night fighters too that after nearly every raid I felt they had rather enjoyed themselves. This may have been the occasional experience of these extraordinary brave and talented men but we do know that the vast majority of raids were pure hell for the crews and those on the ground too. With over 55,000 crew killed and missing I feel Jack Currie was trying to lighten the scene for us.

This is nevertheless a good read. I just wish this highly skilled pilot and author had not left out the most important events and emotions which we all know were paramount in Bomber Command raids.
77 Comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 March 2017
My husband says it is a great book, well written and highly entertainng.
on 26 April 2017
This was a birthday present to a teenager who told me he liked it.
on 10 June 2017
RETURNED 8th May
on 30 April 2009
The best books about the 2nd World War I have found are usualy written by the people involved in the conflict, this is no exception. Jack Currie tells his and his crews story without heroics and describes what life was like in those dark days. This is not a book filled with dates and times, it's about the fears and triumphs of flying Lancasters over Europe facing the threat of Flac, Night Fighters and the loss of fellow crews. The fact that as a nation we have largly forgotton the sacrifice made by these brave men is obscene. Read it.
on 22 March 2013
Jack Curries books on RAF experiences with bomber command during world war two are excellently written and show what it was like serving in Bomber Command at the time and what these young hereos' must have gone through. Its a shame that the stiff upper lip prevented many including my father from telling their stories of what they experienced. So many lost their lives at such a young age.
on 12 January 2015
delivery a bity late but OK
on 9 February 2007
Probably one of the greatest books ever written about life on a bomber station during the war. In today's world we cannot begin to contemplate how stressful it must have been flying to Germany night after night "running the gauntlet" and defying the odds!

Wickenby (where Mr Currie was stationed), in Lincolnshire is a small village with its airfield just down the road, and this book is so evocative of the times and the area. You'll find yourself wanting to visit!

Jack Currie is one of my heroes (in the true sense of the word)as are the many 1,000's like him who we have to thank in order to be able to write reviews like this!! He deserves the highest accolade having written such a poignant book. I salute you, Sir!
on 2 March 2016