on 30 May 2015
The book was in exceptional good condition. Have not finished reading it yet but I'm sure it will give me a greater insight into my Uncle Arthur Darlow's war service. I only met him once when I was very young but my father told me about him.
on 12 December 2016
Received on time. Good book
on 29 December 2015
Excellent book.
on 18 October 2011
A SUPER STORY OF THESE BRAVE YOUNG MEN.MOST OF WHOM WERE YOUNGER THAN MY MIDDLE SON.
THIS BOOK HELD MY ATTENTION ALL THE WAY AND I TOOK IT ON HOLIDAY TO FINISH.
on 21 March 2011
This book is worth reading if at least for the sake of hearing some of the experiences of people in Bomber Command. A group of people unfairly treated by history I believe.
However, I found the writing very dry and without flow. I understand that this is because the book was not written first hand and is therefore essentially a list of facts without any embellishment.
I'm sure it will appeal to some people however I wouldn't recommend it.
on 5 April 2001
Lancaster Down follows the true life exploits of the author's grandfather, Arthur Darlow. Pilot of a Lancaster during his induction, training and becoming a pilot for Bomber Command in the second World War.
The text details both the human emotional side of coping with the successes ( and failures ) of night time raids over Germany and occupied France, and also the technical aspects of precision bombing at night which are both fascinating and harrowing.
Later in the book, Arthur Darlow's quest for freedom after being shot down over enemy territory. Contact with the French resistance, capture by the German's, internment in a POW camp and eventual escape provide a graffic and thrilling read that relives the struggles of war.
Lancaster Down is a truly enthralling read which will satisfy both the technical historian and general public one and all and should not be missed by anyone with an interest in the war efforts during the 40's.
0Comment| 63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 31 July 2017