on 9 February 2015
I first read the expurgated version of this book 50 years ago for the sex content. We school girls passed it around furtively finding the juicy bits.
Without internet,sex education and victorian values still prevalent on tv the book was shocking and frank and no doubt contributed towards the 60's sexual revolution. It still is revolutionary even though it was written almost 80 years ago. A true artist, genius, this fiction reflects D H Lawrence's own life, views and battles with society which are just as relevant today. I'm glad I came back to it.
on 11 December 2013
I decided to read this story for myself as there is so much hype about it. I found it truly engrossing as it depicted an intolerant society which maintained the class system no matter what. Well worth taking the plunge even if the yorkshire accent is a bit of a struggle.
on 22 January 2016
I haven't read Lady Chatterley's Lover for many years but re-read it after it had been on TV and I realised the story had been drastically edited. I thought that it was a bit long winded in places and frankly not terribly interesting. The characters were well drawn if a little unimaginative but D H Lawrence does preach at the reader too often. It is a book concerned with breaking out of the mould and not necessarily keeping to the life that seems to be set before you. This book is a book that everyone should probably read even if it's just to see what the fuss was about but don't expect great literature.
on 9 June 2016
Although I'm old enough to remember the court case and hype surrounding the original publication I have never read this book. I thought it was about time I did so. Only read part of it so far but enjoying Lawrence's insight into the social structure of the time. Whilst I'm prepared for the sexual content I doubt it is anything more explicit than many other books, films and magazines that have become available since this opened the floodgates.
on 29 September 2015
Not having read the book when it caused the huge stir back in the 50ies, and then having seen the BBC adaptation recently and finding it better than I had expected, I decided to read the book because the reviewer of the BBC version was heavily critical of its not being true to the novel. If this book had first been published in this century, it would hardly cause a ripple on the waters. D.H. Lawrence is exploring attitudes to sex and to the cultural strata of his times. Some of the questions he raises are no longer asked nowadays, though perhaps some of them should be. Basically it is a serious novel worth taking seriously.
on 8 November 2015
I loved this book. So much more of a story than I had believed. I can understand why it was banned when it was first published as the language in some parts is rather crude but is used in context and feels acceptable to read in that situation without causing offence.
on 6 March 2013
Smart edition of this classic book. Reading this for the first time I did not think it was that shocking, but heh, times were different back then. A great book with interesting observations about social class and sex.
on 29 September 2015
Well worth another read. Had read it when I was young (quite a few years ago) and was under the impression it was a love affair doomed to failure. Which is why I was amazed and uplifted when I watched the excellent bbc version on a few weeks back. Lots more detail and you get a better understanding of the characters in the book. In the time it was set in the affair would have been scandalous as was the writing when it first came out. Now it is tame compared to some present day literature. Still very enjoyable and the writer does make you empathise with both main characters.
on 6 March 2013
This is a novel that anyone who is serious about books should own. Not only is it a fascinating story of sex and social class and social conflict, but it famously triumphed in an obscenity trial in England in 1960. This made it possible for the unexpurgated edition to be openly sold in England for the first time since it was published (in Italy) in 1928. And this is the edition to have, with its period photos and Kindle-friendly format.
on 30 September 2015
First read the book about 40 years ago in my youth. Remembered the sex scenes andf thought them awfully Kitschy now; for the rest, there are interminable rants about class, workers, industry which make the book quite boring.