on 19 January 2013
I have a Macbook Air with Thunderbolt but pre USB 3 so went for a drive with both to use with the Air and have the ability to transfer to other computers with USB 3. In summary it's lightning fast, as you would expect with something called thunderbolt. I haven't experienced any issues with the supplied cable but it's worth noting it's pretty short. This drive seems to be coming down in price, they were around £200 when first released and have come down to under £180 so far. I imagine quite a bit of this is for the thunderbolt cable which includes some electronics in the plugs and is much more expensive than a regular USB or firewire cable. You should factor this in when comparing with thunderbolt ready drives that have the socket but no cable. These Lacie tough orange drives are well protected so should survive the occasional drop and are a good choice if moving the drive around on a regular basis.
Based on the specifications, and the reviews of this storage device on Amazon, I bought two to solve my storage needs (at different times). Plus I also liked and it's perceived `ruggedness' of said product. The first device died after having it for the less than 24hours! It appears the controller card failed. The second drive lasted 6 months, it never failed but the heat issues were such that you could burn yourself, and hence I returned it. These devices were never abused and were used with care. I may have been unlucky, but it has stopped me buying another. Credit to Amazon for very good customer service with the issues I had. Do not take my word for it but search the Web and see other reviews and blogs, as I am not the only person to have real problems with these devices.
on 22 December 2012
I wasn't sure about paying the money for this drive when I could get a lot more storage for less with a pure USB3 drive, however my MacBook only supports Thunderbolt and USB2 so I took the plunge. Extremely happy so far and have been able to flawlessly edit video directly off the drive with Final Cut Pro X and so some pretty complex mixing with Traktor with audio stored on the drive. My only negative would be that the supplied Thunderbolt cable is a bit temperamental and also very short. It quite often would lose the drive from Finder so I ended up getting Apples £39 cable which has removed the issues mostly and the extra cable length has definitely helped.

Pros:
- Very fast. 2 GB's in a matter of seconds between this and my SSD.
- Have already dropped it a few times so pretty durable so far!

Cons:
- Dodgy Thunderbolt cable - may have to replace (and they are not cheap!).
44 Comments| 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 February 2014
This was ideal for my purposes and is very fast with the new thunderbolt iMac. So much faster than firewire 800. It also has USB3 which is USB2 compatible which enabled me to back up an old computer before copying through thunderbolt to the new Mac.

A good reliable product
on 22 March 2013
Love this. Have bought these drives before and they are extremely reliable and robust. This one whizzes along! Both USB 3 and Thunderbolt connections are extremely fast. Bit pricey but in my view worth it.
on 18 December 2014
I haven't had any issues with this drive yet, but I don't like the hard-wired thunderbolt cable!

I bought it as an experiment, to go with 'progress' - I'm already using 2 FireWire 800 rugged drives, though I still prefer the FireWire version - with a cable that can be packed separately (and replaced if necessary).

So since purchasing this, I have purchased another FireWire 800 version (the 'triple').
on 26 July 2013
Sturdy build that withstands the minor knock and bump thanks to its rugged aluminum case.
The thunderbolt connection is great for use with Apples, and the USB 3.0 connection uses one cable that draws its power from the bus. Both methods as expected - ensure for ultra fast transfer.
I've used these drives a lot, on the road and at home. Your in good hands with these drives.
on 3 December 2013
You get good speed whether you are using thunderbolt or USB 3.0, a good choice if you have a thunderbolt MacBook as thunderbolt has more speed and also you free up one of your USB ports. The internal drive is well protected from accidental drops with the rubber around it, the drive itself is of great quality as it's made by sea gate and samsung
on 24 August 2014
Great product, the Thunderbolt when paired with USB 3 is an excellent combination being much faster and compatible with both the latest (Mac in my case) computers and the more elderly and non-Mac computers too (even those without USB 3 can benefit, as USB3 is fully backwards compatible with USB 2). Recommended.
on 1 June 2014
Having had many referrals from TV pro friends of mine for this drive I took the urge and have to say it is a fantastic product. I use this primarily for FCPX editing on the fly in full HD and backup media storage. Blisteringly fast, well made and of course portable. Will be getting several more in the future.