Customer reviews

on 20 November 2017
quick expedition, very good estate
on 20 July 2016
Excellent book
on 17 December 2009
I chose this book to revive my rusty French, and the first few pages seemed rather dull. Just as I was on the point of giving up, the next sentence made me take notice. "It may seem that this isn't a very interesting story, but wait - it's going to become so!" This was no false promise. From then onwards I was engrossed - transported to 1920s Provence, I could see, feel and smell everything in vivid technicolour. The young Marcel is an endearing character and a wonderful companion for the duration of this subtly clever book. The only negative thing I can say is that there is some cruelty to animals which I found hard to stomach.
on 27 January 2007
This is a charming, beautifully understated work that leads you into the lost world of 1920's rural France as seen through the eyes of a child. Read it in French for the full experience, in English you will miss the nuances, I borrowed it from a neighbour who asked me what I thought of it, I could only say that I found it charming, gently amusing and very witty. If anyone tells you the French lack an appreciation of subtle humour then get them to read this book.
on 27 March 2012
This is the book from which the film of the same name was made, authentically transported. Both capture the feel of the period and area and the range of endearing characters described. There is an innocence about the way of life and we follow the maturation and experiences of Marcel: his schooling (there is a stunning moment when he reads off the blackboard), his going hunting and his relationships (and relations!) There is an irony in the title and yet a seriousness: there was a glory in such a life and here it is portrayed with humour (his ideas about birth) and affection. The French is quite easy (apart from some names of animals and plants) as it is written from the boy's point of view but, if you are doubtful, watch the film first and enjoy both.
on 27 September 2014
I ordered these copies of La Gloire de Mon Pere for the French Circle that I run at our local Catholic church in Maidenhead. We are a group of Senior Citizens who had previously used school text books but found the subject matter mainly levelled at teenagers. The ordering and delivery of La Gloire de Mon Pere was excellent and we started reading the book in our group a fortnight ago. The subject matter is delightful and it is of the correct standard for my students.. The presentation of the book too is attractive and the print of a good size for elderly people. This coming Monday we are due to have our second session this term and I am looking forward to moving on with the story and also of using a selected passage from what we read last time as dictation. All in all this, my first purchase from Amazon, has proved to be a great success. Many thanks. I shall definitely use you again. Shirley J.Forde
on 5 July 2014
an ever enduring tale of childhood - told with the voice of the boy, without sentimentality nor self-pity. Pagnol lets the reader assess the actions of his characters whilst recalling their own personal reactions to life as a child. A novel of summer time - the warmth, sounds and scents of long summer days float up from the pages and the follies of adults are revealed without judgements or blame. A kind and generous book
on 11 July 2015
I am finding this book a challenge. It is taking me some time to get through it. I think you need to be at an advanced level to read this easily. I am at a lower intermediate level - it's certainly not for beginners. I shall persevere!
on 21 January 2006
This book is really good, it may be in french but it is not that hard. it is a really lovely story and everyone should read it because it teaches you a lot about french culture. i have also seen the film and it is very good.
on 10 May 2015
This is an absolutely charming tale of life through a child's eyes. Reading french language books in the Kindle is excellent practice and with a French dictionary loaded also you can just hover over any words you don't understand for an explanation (in french).