- Hardcover: 456 pages
- Publisher: Imperial College Press (15 May 2013)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1908977094
- ISBN-13: 978-1908977090
- Product Dimensions: 17 x 2.3 x 24.9 cm
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 3,376,043 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- See Complete Table of Contents
LOCAL ACTIVITY PRINCIPLE: THE CAUSE OF COMPLEXITY AND SYMMETRY BREAKING Hardcover – 15 May 2013
|New from||Used from|
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
From the Inside Flap
The principle of local activity explains the emergence of complex patterns in a homogeneous medium. At first defined in the theory of nonlinear electronic circuits in a mathematically rigorous way, it can be generalized and proven at least for the class of nonlinear reaction diffusion systems in physics, chemistry, biology, and brain research. Recently, it was realized by memristors for nanoelectronic device applications. In general, the emergence of complex patterns and structures is explained by symmetry breaking in homogeneous media, which is caused by local activity. This book argues that the principle of local activity is really fundamental in science, and can even be identified in quantum cosmology as symmetry breaking of local gauge symmetries generating the complexity of matter and forces in our universe. Applications are considered in economic, financial, and social systems with the emergence of equilibrium states, symmetry breaking at critical points of phase transitions and risky acting at the edge of chaos.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Science & Nature > Mathematics > Calculus & Mathematical Analysis > Complex Analysis
- Books > Science & Nature > Mathematics > Education > Higher Education
- Books > Science & Nature > Mathematics > Mathematical Foundations > Mathematical Logic
- Books > Science & Nature > Mathematics > Optimisation > Linear Programming
- Books > Science & Nature > Physics > Mathematical
- Books > Science & Nature > Physics > Philosophy of Physics
- Books > Science & Nature > Popular Science > Maths
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Mathematics > Calculus & Mathematical Analysis
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Philosophy