on 27 August 2010
I am one of those people who usually isn't that bothered about new tech for the most part but occasionally I see some new gadget that makes me thing "I MUST have that" and this is one of those gadgets.

I am a fan of harry potter but not so much that I'll dress up as dumbledore and hang around outside book shops. I think everyone would love the ability to just flick a wand and get a result and this wonderful bit of kit allows you to do just that. As soon as you get your head around the way it works and memorise the different commands (which doesn't take long), you will feel giddy with that childish excitement the first time a command works.

Right, on to the technical stuff. The wand works by copying the infra red code from other remote controls, therefore you can use the wand to control pretty much anything that already uses a remote control (and assuming you have the original remote). The wand "learns" these codes in a very magical way, keeping with the theme. You have to point the wand at the remote and press the button you want to assign that function to a certain gesture of the wand. Just doing this is rather cool in itself.

In general the commands are fairly easy to get to grips with although you do have to get used to the right amount of pressure to use on the tapping motions.

Now, if I could give this product a 4.5 stars I would. There are only a few niggles and they are fairly minor:

1. It is expensive, especially since the inventors were rumbled on dragon's den saying that it only costs £10 to make

2. There aren't enough pre set gestures. There are 13 and it may just be my setup at home but I used all of these for just my TV and my sky box. It would have been nice to be able to control the DVD player too and have everything in one device but as it stands I have managed to assign all of the regularly used functions from 2 remotes into the wand so no need for lots of different remotes

3. The range of gestures is fairly limited (see the product description). The inventors did not make use of twirling actions and a variety of swishes, this would have added to the number of commands you could assign to the wand

4. The wand can be a bit twitchy if you're not careful i.e. you may just be putting the wand down and if you're not careful or if you jerk it too much, you may inadvertantly execute a command but this just takes getting used to to avoid

That's about it really! The appeal of this product is definitely in the fun area and it has most certainly delivered in this promise.

One word of warning though, if you have kids, impress upon them that this isn't a toy. It looks like one but it doesn't feel like one. Just picking it up you can tell it is a serious piece of tech and I wouldn't be confident that it would survive being thrown around the room too much!

Use this wand and you can make the simple act of turning on your tv make you feel like a kid again, grinning in wonder. Go on, buy it, you know you want to.
1212 comments| 195 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 December 2009
Best gadget ever... Really good fun, the only drawback is that it needs two different actions on my TV to change channel because of the way the infrared commands work. But nothing beats the enjoyment of turning Strictly Come Dancing off with an imperious flick of the wrist as you leave the room.
on 21 December 2010
I bought this for my husband, partly as a joke because he is a big Harry Potter fan and partly because we had seen it on Dragon's Den. He loves it!! He found it simple to set up and loves waving it around instead of pressing boring buttons. Yes, now and then he turns the TV on when he means to turn the HiFi down, but that is all part of the fun. Beautifully presented in a box with red lining. Highly recommended.
on 4 September 2010
i have now got my wand to work after 2 hours of practicing, i still wouldn't have been able to use it, if i hadn't watched the kymera how to videos after which i was an expert in moments, so please watch the videos to save frustration and possibly snapping the wand in two. As everyone has previously said, using it certainly brings a grin to your face. the only thing is, you want to point it at everything and operate it, but because of only having 13 movements and electrical item requires several movements to operate the movements are soon used up, so choose to impress. saying that it is very easy to reprogram to another item.
on 29 January 2010
This gadget is one of the best things to come onto the market, but it is a little hard to operate the first few times you pick it up, it does take some getting used to and the actions have to be done at a steady pace, flick or move the wand to fast and it does not always work. great though if you have Kids keeps them guessing when you first use it but you do have to let them know its not a toy, all in all a nice piece of new technology but can be improved on I think so looking forward to new improved versions.
on 12 May 2013
This is a great little device! It can be tricky to get the hang of but it is amazing how you can control your electronic items with a flick of the wand! I got it for the full price a few years ago which I felt was a little expensive and would have been much more comfortable with the sale price as it is much more reasonable.
on 27 September 2010
difficult to buy a gift that is both fun and different not to mention also useful, for my 20yr old son. This product fitted the bill on all 3 accounts!!!! MAGIC
on 24 September 2010
Saw this item on Dragon's Den and was really impressed so purchased it for my husband as a birthday gift full of expectations.
The delivery and packaging are excellent. Unfortunately I consider the wand to be another electronic gimmick remote control.
I wish the inventors well as I believe they genuinely have great ideas and good intentions, but I think it still needs work on it to simplify the use of the wand.
on 19 March 2015
Bought one of these a few years ago, a brilliant gadget really well made and presented took a bit of practice to get it right but the grandchildren were mesmerised. However just recently it did develop a fault so I contacted the makers and their customer service was absolutely excellent. I returned my wand which was well out of warrantee and on receipt of the faulty one The Wand Company posted me out a brand new one. Would recommend paying that little bit extra for this kind of after sales service.
on 26 December 2010
I bought this product for my husband - a gadget freak - for Christmas and he loved it. He mastered it within 30 minutes and it does exactly what it says on the box. It gives you the opportunity to carry out up to 13 commands and so gone is the clutter of remote controls from the coffee table and in their place we have one wand. Great fun whilst also very useful. Comes in a stylish box and is a great gift for the man who has everything.