on 9 May 2013
I bought this to use with my bicycle when I take it to university. Overkill? Perhaps, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

After several months of hauling it in my backpack (along with laptop, books, toolkits, and more!), I decided to start leaving it locked up at university to save me some back trouble later in life. This is a rather heavy lock (I would weigh it if it was at home with me), and actually weighs more than my bike itself!

As for security, it's great. No one is getting through this without extreme difficulty. I only say that because any lock can be broken given enough time and patience; I'd be more worried about a potential thief destroying/stealing what the bike is actually locked to, it'd probably be easier.

If you're going to be using this lock with a bicycle that has quick release wheels like mine, I'd advise you purchase the lock alongside a cable, such as the Kryptonite Kryptoflex 7 ft Cable Lock (10 mm x 213 cm), which you can snake through your wheels and lock up to this chain.

You get 3 keys with this lock: one main key that has a blue LED inside (useful for seeing the lock in the dark, but I've not had to use it yet, personally) and 2 spares. If you do buy, remember to register your keys with Kryptonite should they get lost or stolen (they have numbers on them).

All in all, very happy with the lock. I'd gladly leave my bike all day at uni without fear of it going walkies... well, ridies.
on 26 June 2014
This lock it's perfect and secure but its heavy. Not always you can get what you want and in this case, despite that I choose to carry this heavy lock I always know that my bike will be in the place where I leave it.

I also use this for the front wheel: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005YPK9VQ/ref=cm_cr_ryp_prd_ttl_sol_5 for the front wheel
on 7 December 2014
This is a very solid lock. If you need a lock to use in your shed / house or car, then I can highly recommend this one.

At 5kg in weight, it’s not something you are going to want to carry around, but it is made from high quality steel, and importantly for insurance policies, it is approved to ‘Gold Sold Secure Standard’.

Make sure you register your keys with Kryptonite, so if you loose them, you can get sorted with replacements.
on 4 September 2014
The chain is CHUNKY! The lock seems pretty durable too. My bike is still here so so far so good. Touch wood. One metre is plenty long enough to get it round the frame, a wheel, and the thing you're locking it to. It is heavy though. That's a good thing in my book but a cable or d - lock might suit you more if looking for efficiency. Personally, I prefer having a bike that's still there after leaving it somewhere overnight.
on 12 February 2016
I am only going to give a four star rating because the Amazon delivery person left my parcel on the doorstep for nearly 90mins despite the electronic receipt saying I had received it in person - Amazon you need some improvements.
Back to the product itself.... Wow, this is one heavyweight chain and lock that will protect your pride and joy bicycle. Comes with three keys, one of which has a little light on the fob for night time use. Kryptonite seemed to have thought of everything. Okay this isn't exactly cheap at nearly £80.00 but if you are looking to keep secure a mountain bike or road bike, this is worth considering.
on 9 February 2014
Right now I use the chain for when I go on trips into London for added security and it has not let me down.

Pros: heavy duty and well made, sold secure gold
Cons: it is very heavy

Yes the chain is heavy, but it is a chain so you get what you pay for, I personally wear it around my waist or coiled on the top tube of my bike.

The lock that comes with it is nice and solid and I use it at uni outside of London with just a small kryptonite cable which does the trick, but for when I am in London both of them are on my bike and I have good piece of mind that i will be there when I return.
on 20 September 2012
great lock,peace of mind if you leave your bike anywhere even though its on the heavy side its worth its wieght! easily wrapped around the front of the frame behind the handlebars, so easy to carry too!
on 6 June 2015
Seems to do the job :) haven't had my bike stolen yet which is good. The chain is perfect for more flexibility in chaining your bike to a variety of things.
Only downside is the weight of the thing!!! Scared it will snap my spokes :/
on 14 October 2014
Good substantial lock...Quality throughout.

So why Four? Because it's BITCH heavy. Forget lumping this mother anywhere, unless you're a maxed out Tough Mudder/RMC/ Triathlete kinda dude who needs extra baggage aboard to facilitate further and fuller upper body development!

Much more a weapon to nail down gear in your garage...or unless of course, 'they' don't mind you leaving it permanently shackled to the shed/railings where you intend to leave your horse.

God knows what the full-on yella peril must weigh....but...no-one's gonna nick your Mare with an artic' truck swinging off it...to be fair!
on 9 December 2014
Ordered as a Christmas gift for my brother. The product arrived within 2 days even though it said it would in more than 10 days. Brother says that "he will shake hands with whoever manages to steal his bike" :) So there you go. Good stuff.

See one answered question